Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend of 5/9/08

I took off a half day on Friday (2 in one week!) to head up to Akron with Lisa for Sarah’s graduation. The three hour trek there was a breeze (in my opinion) due to good conversation and only 1 pit stop along the way. Seeing Sarah again (and her family) was wonderful. She’s so skinny you have to squint to see her! We ate pizza, toured Akron a bit, harassed the hotel front desk man, witnessed a possum “commit suicide” and slept in a round room.

Graduation day was clear and bright. Too chilly for the cute outfit I brought but I had a back-up sweater and slacks. Sarah was the second person to receive her Masters and walk across the stage to get her diploma with head held high. We were all quite proud! The rest of the afternoon was low-key with lunch, Target shopping, and ultimately Sarah’s graduation party. Putting some faces with names I’ve been hearing about for 2 years was good, even better that I genuinely liked the faces and personalities and (I know I'm a geek) felt reassured that Sarah was in good hands 4 hours away.

The trip home was uneventful – Vanilla Bean from Starbucks (crazy vanilla), Mickey D’s for lunch, and a welcome home (to Troy) hug from Kendall. I made it home by about 3:30, just in time to get everything together and head to my mom’s for mother’s day.

Honestly, my first official mother’s day was disappointing. Everyone in my generation except us was in jeans while the “adults” were dressed up business casual or greater. It really signaled to me the turning of a page when it comes to holiday celebrations. My brother wasn’t feeling well so I didn’t get to see him, Linds, or Ryann very much at all. I know it’s just paper, but I wish that I had gotten more than just the one card I did from my grandmother. My own daughter didn’t even get me a card and I had to wish myself happy mother’s day at 10:30pm to remind Jim to say it at all. Not looking for sympathy or “make-up” affirmation, just journaling in general.

The work week starts afresh! I have high aspirations of accomplishing a lot!

7 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad your trip north was fun... wish I had been there!

Sorry to hear that holiday family celebrations aren't as fancy as they use to be... sign of the times? Jim must do a better job in the future! :-P

Happy Mother's Day (1 day late)!!

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like the graduation was a good trip. :)

Happy Mothers Day.
hugs and love!

Laura said...

I think the first time Nic can give you a hug, kiss, and say "I love you mommy," will be the first time Mother's Day REALLY feels like a special day.

Martha said...

I hope you had an overall good Mother's Day weekend. Happy Mother's Day. :)

My Uncle never wished his wife a happy mother's day. Never (in well over 40 years) gave her a card. He knew, also, that it bothered her. Why did he still not do it? B/c she's not his mother. Now, there's many thoughts to: Who should wish whom a Happy Mother's day?
1) A child to his/her own mother?
2) A husband to the mother of his children?
3) anyone who comes across any woman who has children?
4) Any combination of the above?

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day Karen..

Love
David and Carole

Katrin said...

Happy Mother's day. I am sure you will have so many mother's days coming up, you won't remember this first one...
I am not so sure my mom always liked what we made her for all the mother's days in the past. I, personally, was NOT talented in any crafts - my presents were all a bit, let's say: crooked. :)

Viki said...

Sometimes husbands are morons. Well, husbands are morons a lot. Jim usually does Ok, so I'm sure this one was just a fluke.