Friday, May 16, 2008

Blogging

What’s a “good blog”? One might say that it’s a piece that gets a lot of comments but I think that isn’t fair as some people don’t 1) have a lot of readers or 2) have a lot of commenting readers. For example, I know Carol reads my blog but she only comments like 1/month. That doesn’t mean that she didn’t like what I had to say though (I assume…).

Me personally? I like to read special interest stories (like the opera singing conductor), opinions on things people see every day (green rivers, screwed up American phrases), obviously good news (babies, houses, new jobs, etc.), or subjects that I’m not interested enough on my own to research but I’m glad other, smarter people do and summarize for me (ie education rates in America by state, or tax dollar distribution). I started reading Laura’s blog see what another mom is doing to get some reassurance that I wasn’t screwing up my kid (Ella is only 2 weeks older than Nic), but I keep reading because I get excited about how Ella is growing and how a stay-at-home mom keeps herself busy (which I find amazing).

Sometimes I try to go out on a limb a bit with my blogs (ie aliens) because where else can I comment on such things; they don’t come up in normal conversation but they still rattle around in my head sometimes. My weekend updates are for my own reference later on more than anything else. Some times I want to simply show off my kid because she’s darn cute.

I never write for comments though I do appreciate those who have good imput (especially Katherine or Tom as they seem to often write intelligent, researched responses) and make me think beyond my initial opinion. Obviously I like it when something I write generates a lot of response (like whether or not to mow your own yard) mostly because it seems like I found a topic that is somewhat universal, agreed upon or not.

I should reach out and read more random blogs, ala Katrin, but never seem to remember to if I get a down minute…

6 comments:

Dale said...

Stuffing your comments...

Laura said...

I agree, comments are nice! Even though I know a ton of people follow my blog (b/c if I dare write about something other than Ella I get phone calls and emails reminding me to put more on about her), if it weren't for you and Lisa commenting I would have no comments (so thanks)!
I like the randomness of your blog, serious to curious to personal stuff. I never know what to expect. And your thoughts usually make me laugh and think, "Gosh, I wish I would have gotten to know Karin at UD while basically living with Kendall & Lisa junior year!"

Mamma Sarah said...

Gotta love the land of blogs. I'm right there with you that if I could diversify more I certainly would... Guess that's why I have friend blogs, mom blogs, crafty blogs, and gardening blogs all linked on mine.

We all have different reasons for blogging which is what makes reading everyone's "adventures" so much fun!

Martha said...

I like thought provoking blogs, but the funny ones get me going too. I also like to play devils advocate at times on people's blogs. Not against them, but I like to continue the discussion and bring other points to thought, as well.
And ones with pictures, like Katrin always does, make me happy. :)

Have a great weekend! We're in hte 90's here. Whew.

Katrin said...

I am flattered - mentioned twice in two posts... :)

TreyJ said...

I'm with you on the human interest or strange occurences blogs. Those are my favorites!