Friday, May 16, 2008

Freaky Friday 2

Drugs fascinate me. I think it’s because I’ve never really done them that it interests me why people do. Especially hard drugs. Because I don’t have any intention of doing any (especially now that I'm a responsible parent!), I'm very intrigued as to what those who do experience- basically, what does getting that kind of high feel like?

In fact, in our Table Topics box (thanks again D & R) Jim and I came across the question “If you could do something once and have no consequences what would you do?” – my answer was cocaine. Something I’d never ever even consider doing in real life and therefore am curious as hell to understand why some people do.

The once popular Absinthe, an alcohol made with wormwood that has been banned in the US (until yesterday) due to its hallucinogenic effects, is making a comeback. The type the US now has access to is only 3% potency compared to our European friends’ version (Katrin, care to comment?). I'll be interested to see if this "new" liquor becomes popular. At $100/bottle that's ify.

In my spare time, if I choose to spend it watching TV, I find myself getting sucked into that Intervention show where addicts are interviewed and at the end of the show their friends and family try to convince them to go to rehab. It’s amazing to me that these people see think their lives are fine even after hearing over and over again that their family is hurt by their actions, the fact that they can’t hold a job, or that a large portion of the population is not doing what they’re doing.

Yeah, this would be a tough blog to publicly comment on probably….

12 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Did you know girls we went to HS with did cocaine on a regular basis? I learned that recently...

I have also heard about addicts that when they go clean have to be on antidepressents for the rest of their lives because they messed up different brain receptors (dopamine/seratonin) so much.

Personally I would never risk it. A high couldn't be worth having to be on meds the rest of your life. Not to mention I can see how it would affect the rest of the family and how it affects the quality of life too easily. No drug/high is worth hurting people over.

Anonymous said...

intervention is my absolute favorite show. personally, i'm obsessed with meth addicts.

Katharine said...

absinthe is awesome! An absolutely delicious licorice flavor...Actually it's already popular...if you know how to a) circumvent import laws, b) make your own, and/or c) drink the readily available wormwood free version (boring!). At 100 dollars per bottle, keep in mind that to properly drink it it is HEAVILY diluted with warmish water and sugar cubes, so it's really going to last you a lot longer, more so than just your typical mixed drinks...and at least in my mind it's not that type of drink either...it's not something you would go "binge drinking" like one might with perhaps a vodka cranberry or rum and coke

Also, recent studies suggest the hallucinogenic effects are thought to be more from the alcohol content itself than the wormwood. It's something like 140 proof, whereas most liquors are 70 to 100 proof...and that was in a study comparing various levels of wormwood.

just for the record...i have had no hallucinogenic experiences with it, and i had the "real stuff". my only hallucinogenic experience involves tylenol with codeine in h.s. pre-cal after having my wisdom teeth removed (strictly following the dr's orders).

Anonymous said...

Mike and I are obsessed with Intervention! I remember watching Dateline (or one of those shows) about a girl who did ecstacy just once and they did a scan of her brain and it was so messed up from just that once. According to her it was the first drug she had tried and she had major brain damage. I couldn't imagine doing that to myself so I have been a good girl because of those shows!

Anonymous said...

Kathrine, good to know your experience! My husband and I bought a bottle from France made with Southern-Wormwood and are planning a small get together with friends to give it a taste this weekend. I did hear that the hallucinogenic effects were mostly due to people adding Laudanum.

BTW We have the water decanter, an absinthe spoon and sugar cubes, to serve it right.

We will be giving Karen a full report.

Karen said...

BTW - i guess meth addicts don't watch TV or else you'd think they'd have heard of Intervention and would know something's up...

Finlands finest said...

HA! To Karen's last comment!

LisaMarie said...

I can honestly say I've never even had a desire to do drugs. Not even pot. The idea of drugs is just scarey to me. And as a teacher, I'm proud to be able to say that I've never tried any of these things, I think it makes me a stronger role model because I don't have to be hypocritical when I tell them not to do drugs. Same thing for my own kids some day.

Kendall, too, has never even tried a drug. Neither has he had the desire to try.

I have to say I'm kind of suprised that you would say you'd try cocaine if you were given the opportunity for a one off with no consequences.

I obviously have very strong opinions about this topic because of my own family experiences....but I won't judge anyone here...:P

Mamma Sarah said...

I have only ever experienced two times in my life a contact high (once in high school at a concert where people were smoking under the bleachers and the other at the Dave Matthews Concert on our Honeymoon). I am proud to say that I've never done drugs nor have I ever had a desire to.

It's all about choice and those who chose to make those choices have to live with them.

Martha said...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/137403>1=43001

Fascinating to both your and Trey's recent blogs and both foie gras and absinthe are mentioned.

Katrin said...

I have tried absinthe before, but didn't have any "experiences" with it. Although I don't know if it was the real thing. Absinthe was quite popular about 5 years ago, but now I don't know anyone drinking it. I haven't noticed that it is on many menus in bars or clubs.
The laudanum theory is also stuck in my head, so I think it might be true.
Sorry that I couldn't give you better info!

TreyJ said...

Never done drugs, and I, too, have never had the desire. Can't say why...just didn't appeal to me.