Friday, May 23, 2008

Freaky Friday 3

I think ghosts are one of those things that a lot of people claim to have encountered but wouldn’t be totally convinced if they had to sit and defend it logically.

Some times in our old house strange things would happen- like I’d see something out of the corner of my eye that wasn’t there when I looked right at the same spot. Or the curtains would rustle with no reason. I used to tease Jim that the female poltergeist in the house wasn’t happy that I was there and wanted him all to herself.

In my new house there was a white mist that was so apparent I actually said “excuse me” out loud when I walked past it at 3 in the morning. Looking back, my rational self says that I was still half sleeping and didn’t really see anything.

My old boss was VERY convinced of spirits. Honestly, any of us who worked late understood why – on several occasions many of us heard walking and talking to the point that we’d walk around looking for someone and calling out “hello?” Chris went so far as to call in a “seer” to talk to the ghosts in our office and to purge them to the ‘white light’ if they wanted to go. While the experience was hokey, I will attest that there were fewer instances of noises from then on.

My mind has a hard time wrapping around the concept of ghosts. To believe in ghosts you have to believe that souls have many possible paths upon death – to stay on Earth and not ascent being one of them (I'm ignoring the option that there isn’t a Heaven and that all souls stay on Earth or simply cease to exist). Why would anyone choose to not go to Heaven and stay here where they realistically can’t accomplish much/anything? That doesn’t make sense to me but a lot of living people don’t make sense to me either.

Some interesting/entertaining ghost movies should you now be in the mood:
Ghost (loving husband stays to catch his killer and protect his wife)
White Noise (exploration that ghosts can communicate through static)
City of Angels (angel pines after an Earthly Woman)
The Grudge (haunted house attacks people)

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

A lot of times in the movies, the ghosts can't move on, it is not that they don't want to. I believe in ghosts because of like you said a set of experiences at my parents old house. I honestly have never tried to defend it logically. How do you defend hearing voices talking when you are home alone? A dog who will never go to the second floor of the house? Seeing a man you don't know standing over your bed at night?

Anonymous said...

When it comes to the unexplained I have always held the words of St Michel as imagined by Guy de Maupassant in his short story "The Horla" as a great "explanation".

~ Do you imagine that we see the hundred thousandth part of what exists? Consider, for example, the wind, which is the greatest of the forces of nature. It knocks men down, it demolishes houses, it uproots trees, stirs up the sea to mountainous waves, it breaks away cliffs and drives great ships on to the rocks. The wind whistles, groans, bellows, sometimes it even kills. Have you ever seen it? It exists nevertheless.

Viki said...

I believe in ghosts, too...

At my mom's house, when it's really late at night and she's still up the kitchen lights will start to flicker and then will turn off and not go back on. This has happened to me on occasion when I've spent the night. Mom says it's because my dad's telling you you're up too late.

A few years after he passed on, my mom also saw my dad walk into their bedroom carrying a suitcase, wave at her, and then walk into the closet.

Yeah, I think they exist. :-)

Anonymous said...

snowhillcountryclub.com/DinnerandAGhost.php

October, make a note of it.

Anonymous said...

That was me (Dave)