Monday, May 05, 2008

Weekend of 5/3/08

As you saw from my last post, I REALLY needed some destress time. Thank God for this weekend.

Friday night Jim and I took Nicole up the street to our neighbors', Rob and Shirley, house for dinner. It was us and another couple from the neighborhood and we got to know one another better - what we do for a living, current events, and of course a large dose of conversation about our houses. We really like them and hope that now with the warmer weather we can get out and see them more.

Saturday I got up at 7 to tend to Nicole and we headed downtown for the Flying Pig Marathon. Jim did the "Pump and Run" 5K where you get 30 seconds off your run time for each time you can bench press your weight. Since my husband is hot and buff he pumped 15 times and got 7:30 off his ~25/minute time.

G-Scott ran the race too and said he'd do it again with more training (he only practiced 5X).

Here they are before the 5K race:



Here they are after running for almost a half hour in 60 degrees of pouring down rain (that's rain, not sweat on Greg's shirt):


Nicole and I stood at the water station for a long time cheering on the runners. Many smiled and waved to Nicole as they ran by. We stood so long, however, we missed the guys actually finishing the race! They had to be encouraged by our cool sign ("Way to 'fly' Daddy & Uncle Greg") after the race. Boooo!

Once home and showered up we enjoyed the warm and dry!


I did a lot of taping for painting (laundry room and living room) and we snuck in Juno (A) too. I can't recommend this movie enough - made me laugh, made me cry, made me want to go snuggle with Nicole.

Side note - our next door neighbor's moved in this weekend. Didn't talk to them though...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the music in Juno?

What a devoted wife and sister!!! I don't know that I would have stood out in that rain.

Viki said...

Oh, my goodness - you're making me be the apostrophe police!

Sounds like a great weekend, and if I were Jim or Greg, I would've been thrilled by the sign even after the race. :-)

Finlands finest said...

Glad you were able to relax a little. Congrats to the racers!

I LOVED Juno! What a fantastic movie!

Sarah said...

Sounds like the weekend was exactly what you needed! I loved Juno as well and would recommend it a thousand times over.

Anonymous said...

congrats to the runners!!!

Finlands finest said...

Nicole is sitting so straight in the last pic. Hopefully she keeps that great posture her whole life.

Martha said...

What a great weekend. :) How fun. I want to run in a 5 K sometime - but not anytime soon! I won't make it for the Hood to Coast Relay (Alvin's on a team, though).

I thought Juno was pretty good, too - I saw it just a week ago, I think. There were parts in the middle I got kinda bored with, but the ending was sweet. And the beginning! I was like what, the heck, we're spending this much time watching some girl walk around drinking Sunny D?! But overall, after the ending, I really liked it (the ending for movies makes or breaks them for me).
Have a great day; it's sunny and 70's here. Happy Cinco de Mayo.

LisaMarie said...

That last picture is so cute. :) I haven't seen Juno yet but want to.

Are you fantasizing about the new neighbors and what they'll be like?

Laura said...

The race the guys did sounds fun and they did a great job! I love being a spectator too! The runners are always so appreciative when you cheer them on. I bet Nicole had fun watching all of the people go by.

Mamma Sarah said...

Sorry to hear life is ever so stressful. Seems like a lot of us are dealing with that very thing these days.

Glad to hear you had a good detox kind of weekend and you're able to get out n about with the neighbors.

Great pic of Niki! She's growing so fast and man does she sit straight!

TreyJ said...

Karen, I really, really, really promise I'll add you to my blog today. I keep forgetting to bring your email address home with me from the office.

Can you forgive me?

Katrin said...

I love that picture of Nicole, she looks really pretty. And good job to the guys for doing the run! Congratulations!!!