Saturday, November 04, 2006

Noodling

The old adage goes “learn something new every day”. Yesterday’s thing to learn was about the practice of “noodling”. Being a city girl, I have had the privilege of fishing in some private ponds through the years. I’ve never gone to a river or a stream or anything to fish, hence I’ve never seen noodling done in real life, and was therefore fascinated when it was described to me.

What is noodling you ask? It’s a method of fishing where you stick your arm into a mud hole and actually use your body as bait for catfish who hang out in said holes. Once the fish bites, you grab onto it from the inside and yank it out of the hole.

Imagine the size of the fish that would be looking for something to eat the size of your arm. Yeah, the fish that are caught using this method are between 40-150lbs. There’ve been cases too where people have had such a large, strong fish bite that they are actually drug underwater and eventually drown.

Think too about what else other than a catfish could be lurking in that hole… that’s part of the extreme of the sport that makes it so much “fun”.

Here’s the wikipedia site for more formal information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

Funny story about a guy’s first noodling experience: http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Catfish-Techniques/Noodling-for-Catfish-The-Ultimate-Thrill-in-Fishing.html

13 comments:

Viki said...

This practice sounds frightening, and totally disgusting...

Martha said...

I know enough people who do it, however, no one I would trust to take me noodling for a first time. If you find someone to take you, can I join?!?

Sarah said...

There is nothing in the world that would ever make me convinced to do this. EVER.

Martha said...

I've wanted to for a while now. How did you hear of this?!?

TreyJ said...

I've heard of folks doing this down in Texas, but I've never been brave enough to try. I worry about snakes too much.

Finlands finest said...

I'm with Sarah...you could nver talk me into this....

Mamma Sarah said...

I don't think I would EVER do this! Ewwww. If you decide to venture on doing this you HAVE to take pictures!

Martha said...

I'm amused that you used Cabela's as a reference in your blog. hehehe. Do you get a hardbound souvenir catalogue from them, too?

Anonymous said...

This is seriously f*cked up.

Karen said...

i went to a happy hour on Friday with a client of mine and he taught me about it. Totally freaked me out.

There's another fishing story that he and another guy talked about that i'm goign to research first before i post... this is just as bad if it's true!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing i'm the only one around who's had a business trip postponed a week to coincide with the grand opening of cabela's. i too know of noodling (haven't tried it though...) not too big on fishing, though i support catch and release fishing, and of course, the similar concept of shoot and release hunting :)

Karen said...

shoot and release hunting!? that's horrid

Anonymous said...

and catch and release fishing ISN'T horrid!??!?? (rest assured sarcasm dominated that portion of the original comment)
:)