Friday, November 03, 2006

Good evening for my self-confidence

I had a nice little ego trip last night. I met with the Club 960- my classmates that battled alongside me through that awful professor we ultimately ousted- last night at The Pub for a happy hour. Very big topic of conversation was me teaching. You know, I think it’s really great that I'm getting to do this and I'm not ignorant of what a great opportunity and privilege teaching at XU is. My peers though went on and on about how great it is and how proud they are of me. I felt really special and the “wow, I'm a professor at 27 and I should be proud of me too” really kicked in.

At one point we were discussing how my current employer is not permitting me to teach “regular” hours next semester. They were shocked, as I was, at the reason. One friend told me that I was “big time” and that there were lots of opportunities to seize if I wanted to. It’s really nice to be able to have self-confidence you think is merited, but I was really struck by how much it meant to hear someone else genuinely validate it.

OK, enough bragging. :)

One last shout-out to David P. who’s a long-time friend, recent reader. Welcome to the blogging world, Dave!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

That's great! I often find that I forget how important it is to feel validated by your peers. A lot of times I think I don't need to hear it, but then when I do it make such a difference.

You're fabulous! And amazing! But I tell you that all the time!

Viki said...

Didn't we all tell you that you rocked, and that you were seriously hot shit for being a prof so young? Maybe you should listen to all of us more - I mean, I realize you probably worry about us being biased, but when have you ever known me not to be completely honest with you? ;-)

Karen said...

yeah, you guys are always honest with me! and i totally love you for it!!

Jessica said...

Ditto to both Sarah and Viki, but I realize it is flattering to hear all this from people you are maybe not as close with as well :)

Finlands finest said...

I think you are amazing Karen!

Anonymous said...

Would this be an appropriate place for an I told you so??? :)

Martha said...

Congratulatins on your ego boosts! I love the valididation. Everyone needs it now and again. :-)

Mamma Sarah said...

I'm with Tom on the "I-told-you-so". :-) But, it is so much more when others whom you aren't so close with validate you. It's even more of a booster when a perfect stranger tells you things that boost your ego (i.e. when Alex was only a couple of weeks old and I went to Panera). :-)