Thursday, October 09, 2008

My Candidate, Myself

Here's an interesting article about people's unwavering political views. I'm happy to report that while I can be guilty of siding with a candidate in gray areas (where neither's answer mirrors my own opinion/solution I will support the guy I like better, McCain), I have on many issues (like most recently the AIG spending insult) sided with Obama if he's got it right.

Sept. 22, 2008 “Let’s make sure that there is certainty during uncertain times” — George W. Bush, 2008

Last week, I jokingly asked a health club acquaintance whether he would change his mind about his choice for president if presented with sufficient facts that contradicted his present beliefs. He responded with utter confidence. “Absolutely not,” he said. “No new facts will change my mind because I know that these facts are correct.”

I was floored. In his brief rebuttal, he blindly demonstrated overconfidence in his own ideas and the inability to consider how new facts might alter a presently cherished opinion. Worse, he seemed unaware of how irrational his response might appear to others. It’s clear, I thought, that carefully constructed arguments and presentation of irrefutable evidence will not change this man’s mind.

In the current presidential election, a major percentage of voters are already committed to “their candidate”; new arguments and evidence fall on deaf ears. And yet, if we, as a country, truly want change, we must be open-minded, flexible and willing to revise our opinions when new evidence warrants it. Most important, we must be able to recognize and acknowledge when we are wrong.

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

When I read something like this, it makes my vote seem even more important as I am undecided and looking for new information in order to decide who I think will best fit my "ideals".

markjx said...

I think this was the most insightful post in the blogosphere, ever.

MJ

Martha said...

I was thinking about similar things recently. Namely, I'm not happy with either candidate, I think both have BIG faults in some pretty major arenas. I can't seem to get the facts, and yes, I do believe the media gives me very biased 'facts'. If I want them biased in McCain's favor, I need to watch Fox, if I want to hear what's biased in Obama's favor - most other news stations. It's annoying b/c it's all biased.
That being said, I know that if I don't decide on time, I'll just vote for the one that like and agree with on smaller issues, since I can't seem to get my facts on the big issues. I hate those articles that break down the debates as what they said was true or not. B/c then it confuses me and I can't base it on what they say!
Actually, living in Oregon, I don't feel my vote counts. Obama will win Oregon (I'm surprised it's actually just considered to be "leaning" Obama and not considered totally for him). Therefore, if I vote for Obama, he's already going to win. If I vote for McCain, Obama is going to win. I'll vote anyway. There's some state elections I want my say on, too.
That being said, my Dad has already called me to make sure I will vote for HIS right person.
Argh. I just want it to be over, and thankfully we have less than 4 weeks.

Katharine said...

I agree with everyone. I liked the article.
Martha...dad actually called you about that? he hasn't said anything to me, and I haven't specified who I'm voting for ...That does explain why he and mom were talking once about trying to figure out how Tom was going to vote...
That concept bothers me...I went off on a coworker once because her mom gave her a list of people to vote for. I told her she was her own vote, not her mother's 2nd, and while there is nothing wrong with voting like her it should be because that's who she feels is the better candidate, not being an obedient daughter.

Viki said...

Interesting that peoples' parents are trying to fish for how they're going to vote. I try not to get into this whole thing with my mom - I suspect that while we think the same way a lot, our views are very different on some major issues. I am appauled, however, at parents who'd give their grown children lists of who to vote for, and even more appauled at the children who'd blindly vote for those candidates.

I enjoyed the article as well - I DO think it is important to remain flexible and open to new ideas/facts, however, I still sort of respect this guy's decision not to change his mind. He's made up his mind a few weeks early - were it 3 weeks later (or, if he's one of those folks who likes to vote early), he COULDN'T change his vote anymore. Maybe he's just like the rest of us and is sick of hearing about the election and figures the best way to deal with it is just make up his mind and not think about it anymore.