Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning the world around her

Some words Nicole picked up recently: rainbow, mommy, cracker, Elmo ("melmo"), and Grandpa ("papa"). Plus some "oldies" - turtle and duck- for good measure:

Call me a mean (educational) mom, but I frequently quiz Nicole on what she sees now. When we read her Sesame Street music book she points to Elmo on each page. We're working on Oscar, Big Bird and Ernie too which she gets about 60% of the time. No more looking at books just to hear a story. Fortunately she doesn't seem to mind... yet... Movie below is the Elmo search. If you don't know Elmo he's the red guy on the pages:

She knows 12 body parts and 2 animal sounds (snake and sheep).

Jim was most impressed on Saturday though when Nicole took the initiative, without being asked, to pick up the string cheese wrapper, take it to the trash bin (we have a pull out cabinet), throw it away, and then close the door. So helpful!

Jim and I talked about her growing up now that she often follows directions, knows where important items are (cheese is in the refridgerator in the bottom drawer, crackers are in the pantry, etc.) and knows how to correctly use real objects like tissues, hairbrushes, etc. Tonight Jim asked what she wanted when she started getting fussy and she said "mommy" and walked to the door that I had left from. Makes me tear up some times because while it's exciting to see her learn the old helpless days are over. She's already on her way to not needing me [as much]. :( It's so cliche to say but so true...

8 comments:

Laura said...

Nicole is a freakin genius!!!

Karen said...

LOL! Thanks! While no mother minds hearing that I wouldn't go quite that far. :)

Finlands finest said...

Nicole still needs you--who was she missing when she got fussy??

A girl needs her mom forever--you and I still need our moms...

Nicole is appearing pretty intelligent--we may have a nobel prize winner on our hands!!

Martha said...

I'm with Jen! (well put, Jen - I had the exact same though that of course Nicole still needs you - she told Jim she wanted you, right??)

Mamma Sarah said...

She's always going to need you, but now it's a little less than what it had been.

Katrin said...

So now you got Martin shouting "Elmo" randomly. Thanks. :)

She is such a cutie pie, I also love the pictures below from the pumpkin patch. That's a nice tradition we don't have here...

Elmo!





Elmo!

LisaMarie said...

Doesn't all of this really mean that it's time to have another one? HAHAHA.

And this is the age I'm looking forward to! Maybe I'll change my mind when Max is here, but Nicole is at that age that I find really fun. :)

Sarah said...

I love the videos! And she is amazing.

As I was watching the videos Ben came out of his room and said "what is that!?!"