Friday, October 10, 2008

Freaky Friday 6 - Mary Sightings

Writing these Freaky Friday posts is a double-edged sword. On one hand I like the opportunity to reflect on some of these ‘mysteries’ and to get the opinions of readers alike. On the other hand, I feel unqualified to talk about some of this stuff; in some cases even to give my opinion as I haven’t thought through the subject entirely to have a well-formed opinion on the matter. Maybe I shouldn’t even write until I’ve done that (thought it through), but who has time to sit for an hour and think about what-if’s?

So forgive me if my analysis is far from complete and my limited examples paint a small snapshot of the whole picture.

A subject that fascinates me are the [supposed] apparitions of Mary around the world. I’ve attended private, Christian-based schools my entire life and this was a subject presented as fact though lightly covered. In grade school we had Mary Day where a lucky 8th grader would crown the virgin with a wreath of flowers and ribbons while the whole school would sing Ave Maria in the “grotto” area between the school and church. That being a song that really touches me and the sentiment being so pure, this was always one of my favorite parts of the school year.

I know this’ll make me sound kind of dumb, but when I was young I used to pray for Mary to come to me. For some unknown reason in my mind I chalked my own mother up to be inaccessible for conversations on topics as important as getting your period. Surely the 2000 year old Mother of God would be more in touch. I promised to never tell anyone if she came and for a long while I believed that she actually might if I prayed hard and intently enough. I'm sad to report that she never showed.

I'm sure you’ve heard over the years of every-day items that look like the Holy Lady – water marks under bridges, toasted images in hamburger buns, window smears, etc. All of these I chalk up to coincidence and over-active imaginations, much like the game we play as children trying to spot a likeness in cloud shapes.

I also wondered if other religions had sightings of their leaders (Mohammad, etc). After several searches on Yahoo! and Google I didn’t find any articles about this at all.

As recently as this year one of the sightings by a shepherd-girl has been validated as real. Through the years several have been approved and dozens more are still under investigation by the Catholic church. In doing a little research for this post it seems that most of these sightings are to children. Some more than one child have seen (ie Fatima), others it’s just one girl seeing the light/woman and others around her see nothing at all. Some times it’s not a sighting that’s reported but a crying or bleeding statue. Still, approved or not, whole presence or just tears, people come in droves to make pilgrimages and pay their respect to the location where Mary once was.

I’ve never been to one of these places before. I’ve never been anywhere that I felt a real religious presence/peace. I think the lack of this is what still keeps me questioning a lot of religion in general. I have had moments of feeling my place in the universe as a whole. I experienced this thoroughly one night on a retreat in college and have never forgotten what that sensation was like.

So, at the end of the day, do I buy into Mary coming back to Earth for visits? When I watched the YouTube posted video of the crying statue (see link above) it gave me chills. I can't explain it. I'm assuming this was untailored video but how do I know? This skepticism is what leads me to say that if I had to give a black and white answer I’d say no, I don't fully believe. But I’d really really like to.

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

My honest opinion is why not? I don't necessarily think Mary shows up in a piece of toast, but I do believe she may visit a person, especially a child in need. I like to believe it is true, more than anything else, because if one person or child needs someone or something, who better than God or the Mother of God to assist?

Martha said...

Your period comment cracked me up, b/c I think every little girl PRAYED for her period to come. And then we wished we never had it. Funny thing - a few years later, we pray again to get it, and then a few years later, we might pray to NOT get it "this month".....Wow, we pray a lot for that darn thing!

That was slightly off topic. The thing about how do you know and skepticism. That's the FAITH concept - believing in something you can't see, touch, or prove. Kinda like love.

I'm with Jen. I'm doubting She visits on toast (although...bread of life...Jesus...hmm. might be apropo). I wonder how those people would fare on ink-blot tests...

Katharine said...

I agree with both. Being very science minded, I like evidence, but like Martha said, that's where Faith comes in. I also think the chips/bread/whatever reminds me of the cloud game. (and some people really make mountains out of mole hills) I tend to be on the skeptical side as a whole though. Though I believe there may be some Mary apparitions, I don't think there are nearly as many as people claim.
Funny related story. My Aunt and Uncle were in Medugorje and were visiting the shrine...It was discussed how the smell of roses is a sign that Mary is present (even when no actual roses can be found). Later, returning to their hotel, they couldn't help but notice a beautiful fragrance...just like roses, but there were no roses around. They looked at each other and some other people in the group...asking if they smelled it too...they all smelled it. They were rather bewildered and thinking how lucky they were to experience Mary's presence. And then another person from the group came out from her hiding place with a bottle of rose perfume...she had sprayed the room with the perfume before they walked in, and was highly amused. That reminds me just how likely these are to be a prank too, and that sometimes it is hard to decide which are real and which are not...

Martha said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27107721/?GT1=43001

Speaking of the VIRGIN Mother and all...
There you go, Kathy - you're starting to get your scientific proof (ok, not proof that it happened in that case, but proof that it can happen to some....)

Katrin said...

Heavy reading here. I agree with you, Karen I really want to believe, too. All of my aunts/uncles/grandmas believe in these miracles. I remember that they wanted to take me to Lourdes as a child because my psoriasis had been really bad. But we didn't go after all - no money. :(

LisaMarie said...

Here's my two cents- I prayed my entire three years trying to have a baby to the Virgin Mary. She's the mother of God. I figured she'd have an "IN" on my request. After I got pregnant with the Nugget, I continued to pray for her to watch over our baby.

I think I did this because of my own mother's experience with praying to Mary. When she was sick and was going through her chemotherapy she started to get really big sores on the corners of her mouth from all of the vomiting. She got to the point where they would crack and reopen and she was having trouble eating. She was losing weight. She always wore a Mary medallion pinned to her bra, and one night, while she was laying on the couch, having vomitted for like the millionth time that day, she just started crying. She couldn't take it anymore. She just wanted to give up. And so she prayed to Mary. She didn't ask her to cure her cancer. She didn't ask her to make the vomitting stop. She just asked her to help. In any way she could. Even if it was just to give her the strength to keep doing what she was doing. The next morning when she awoke, the sores were almost completely healed, and she could eat again. I swear to GOD. Now how can that not be real?