Friday, October 03, 2008

Freaky Friday 5 - Psychics

I attempt to be a practical person in many matters but the subjects of these Freaky Friday posts are about all the stuff that logical people can’t always rationalize. What I'm going to shallowly cover today is the concept of psychics.


Sure, I think all of us have experienced déjà vu before. I have to the point of actually stopping what I'm doing to look around and deeply evaluate the scene because it feels so familiar.

There are times I'm convinced that I’ve dreamt of things before I’ve actually done them. Perhaps the explanation is that I’m dwelling on a situation and my mind filling in the possibilities sub-consciously yet so completely that when reality plays out it simply aligns with one of the solutions I’ve already contemplated.

Maybe I'm just a little psychic. Who knows.

It seems really weird to me that someone can see the future. Free will and the butterfly effect cloud my mind with the improbability of this being a reliable source of fact. Likewise, seeing the past, past that is someone else’s past and not your own personal recollections (that do sometimes still feel very, very real in our minds), seems similarly sketchy. However, there is case after case that document people who have this ability – to see the past of people they’ve never met.

Here’s a 3-year old article about a psychic and police detective who have partnered for 30 years to solve crimes. She gets glimpses of people and has, on many instances, reported detail that was not made public and known only to the individuals on the case.

It’s hard to be a doubting Thomas when this is a known source of information that police use (routinely? I don’t know…) to actually solve mysteries. It’s hard to blow off the concept when I personally experience déjà vu (though my mind does wander back to the Matrix’s explanation not that I actually believe this).

Conclusion: I believe that the power to see the past exists but I don’t understand at all how it works.

8 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Were you at the lunch on Sunday when I talked about my experience at the Ren festival with the sage woman???

She said a lot of things, some of which I took as the hokey--positive stuff they have to say and some of it was actually insightful into my life.

Hokey--you will come into money possibly from a job endeaver.

Insightful--you need to make a decision regarding "this" aspect of your life.

Anonymous said...

I got excited at first... thought you dedicated a blog entry to the fun world of "physics", then realized I misread.

Laura said...

I believe time is a human concept that is related to life on Earth (sounds kooky, but follow me here). We are stuck in one part of life as it unfolds, but God can move back and forth through time because He is separate from us. He can be in a battle between cowboys and Indians at the same time he is watching over a space mission in the year 2075. I don't think people 'predict' the future...God has seen events play out that we cannot know b/c we are stuck in our human time, but He can relay info to people who have spiritual connections (like the biblical prophets) and say what will come to pass.

Just like watching the history channel about WWII, before the end of the program you know what will happen because it already played out. No need to worry about free will or butterfly effect...what happened is already over.

Did I make any sense?

Finlands finest said...

Jim's funny!!!

Anonymous said...

You Tube
search American Psychic Challenge

Dave

Sarah said...

I don't know about psychic, but you definitely have the most vivid and strange dreams of anyone I have ever known. That's gotta count for something!

Martha said...

I'm 100% with Jim.
I was so confused until I read Jim's comment and then RE-read the title of the post...

Katharine said...

Everytime I glance at the title, I read "physics" glad to see i'm not the only one. which reminds me of this silly little chain letter that periodically gets emailed around:

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it