Thursday, October 02, 2008

$20,000 3-letter word

I have a big vocabulary which I directly correlate to how much I read. I find this a good thing, others probably find it annoying (like my brother, Mike) when I pull out a “big” word for something “basic” even though it’s the first thing that comes to my mind to describe the situation. In like fashion, I get geeked when people I know use one-off words that say exactly what they mean but aren’t everyday. For example, my friend Mark J. sent me an email today and in the subject he used the word “née”. Fabulous. When was the last time you heard someone use “née”?

Just in case you are interested, my favorite word of all time is brilliant.

10 comments:

Finlands finest said...

My fav word is flambouyant!

Finlands finest said...

Did you notice I use brilliant and fantastic a lot and flambouyant almost never. I save it for special occasions. LOL

Martha said...

In an obituary (to answer your question).

My favorite word is "Fabulous".
Ironically I thought you could use your favorite word "brilliant", in this case, in place of "fabulous".

Finlands finest said...

Did you ever notice how flambouyant rolls off of the tongue? Don't you just want to say it all of the time?!?!?

Katharine said...

When I was in grade school my favorite word was ecstatic. I'm not sure what my current favorite word is...probably "graduate" or "job" :)

LisaMarie said...

My favorite word is F*ck. But my favorite "big" word of the moment is "portmanteau". My favorite word changes all the time though.

Big words I use on a regular basis:

Facetious
Esoteric
Ennui
Differentiate

And my favorite made up word: Ginormous

Anonymous said...

My favorite word is tabernacle. It's fun to say! Don't worry, Karen. People always make fun of me for using big words, too.

Anonymous said...

While all good words, I like Lisa's the best because a) I don't hear it often at all; more I see it in literature, and b) it's got that french allure to it (think "dossier" or "attache").

Probably one of my favorites would be 'esoteric', because it just sounds mysterious.

Viki said...

I think my favorite word is still Wasserkaeferscheisse. It means "water bug sh!t" and was taught to us by some good friends in Speyer when we were visiting in high school.

markjx said...

I'm so pumped that I made the blog! :)

And, my new current favorite word is "manversation".

MJ