Friday, June 29, 2007

Becoming an author

I think a lot of people out there have an ambition to write a novel. I actually saved a fortune cookie fortune from about 3 years ago that is taped on my computer monitor – it reads “you are a lover of words, someday you will write a book.”

I like the idea of writing for the following reasons:
1) Like blogging, it’d be cool and good for my ego that someone actually wants to read what I have to say
2) Better than blogging, I’d actually be PAID to write!
3) What if my book turns out to be a great American classic!? Don’t I owe it to the world to put it on paper? Ok, this might be an exaggeration… but you never know!
4) What a neat way of getting famous – for doing something that requires actual intelligence/skill (versus being in the email forwards of the Darwin Awards or something like that)

Jim and I brainstormed writing a self-help book together (which I believe I blogged about before). If I had to write one on my own though I think I’d steer myself to what I know best – romantic mysteries. As recently discussed with Lisa though, this genre has several downsides for the author:
1) it’s hard to take any romance seriously (there goes #3 above!)
2) Half the population isn’t interested in this genre (Lisa suspects that the spouses of said authors don’t even read their wives’ books)
3) There are hundreds if not thousands of romances published annually – you’d have to work hard to get yours to rise above the masses
4) I’d need to do quite a bit of homework to really nail a good sex scene (pun ½ intended)- they’re always fun to read but I can imagine they’re difficult to write without being cheesy.
5) So if I do pen a really great sex scene all my friends and family might wonder and joke about what runs through my head (or through my marriage) in real life!

Yeah, this sounds hard…maybe I should go back to my original creations – a childrens’ board game and my new passport idea….

10 comments:

Finlands finest said...

You could always write a childrens book. :)

Or and this is really crazy..you could write a romantic mystery with no sex scene...that might just be crazy talk though.

You should check out Daisy Dexter Dobbs and Rhian's blogs. They are both writers of the romance genre. They are funny too.

I like the board game idea best right now.

I have considered writing a book, I just don't think I could be original enough and don't think my writing is expansive enough. I would be too concise and to the point, not give enough detail. :)

LisaMarie said...

Dude, the sex scenes need to stay. As Karen and I also discussed, they're usually HOT. And that's what makes them good! So Karen just has to write about one night with Jim and she's probably good to go. LOL!

Martha said...

I've never been into romance novels.

what is this passport concept??

Karen's one night with Jim? why, that would only be able to be sold in Adult Stores, then. hahaha.

Megs said...

How come EVERY freaking book I pick up and read has NO sex scene in it? Where are all these?

And yeah... what's up with this passport idea?

Finlands finest said...

Megan, the world is trying to keep you innocent!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I've thought a couple of times about writing a book in the past few months, and used to think about it more seriously when I was younger. I think the hardest part would be finding a publisher to take a chance on a new writer, and making sure there's not another book just like yours out there that you'd then get accused of copying...
I actually had a fairly complete idea of a children's book come to me recently, with the beginning and ending thought out, as well as the general plot/line of it. As such, I then worried that it was already out there and I just dreamed about a book I read once long ago... I really should write it out and try to complete it sometime though!

Katrin said...

Write that book. Don't procrastinate. If you feel uncomfortable with the sex scene use a pseudonym (which I'd have to since a bestelling lady-author took my real name as a pseudonym: Barbara Woods).
I've started writing a book about my great aunt a couple of years ago, but since I am having troubles with my thesis that just has to wait. ;)

TreyJ said...

Not sure I could ever pen a book. I'm not trashy, intellectual or adventurous, so that pretty much takes me out of the novel-writing scene. Knowing what I know about you, I think you could do a kick-ass novel :)

I don't recall any passport ideas, though...please refresh our memories!

Karen said...

the passport idea is a fun one but would take lots of work. I researched patents online and it's a long and relatively pricey operation to get one. :(

Viki said...

I'd like to write a book someday, but I think it'd end up being more of a compilation of memoires, sort of like David Sedaris book. I'd start with stories about my siblings growing up, add in my Italian newsletters and go from there...I could probably get 2 books in there. :-)