Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Week 37- 3 to go!

How your baby's growing: Congratulations! Your pregnancy is now considered full term — meaning your baby is developmentally ready to handle life outside the womb. (Babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 weeks are post-term.) Your baby probably weighs a little over 6 pounds at this point and measures between 19 and 20 inches, head to heel.

Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children are born blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

My Take: We’ve taken lots of steps in the past week to make final preparations for Nicole’s arrival – the stroller/car seat has been purchased, assembled, and the base is installed (firmly thanks to a handsome firefighter!) into my car. The hospital bag is mostly packed (need to buy a nursing bra and new cute slippers and I’ll be done!). The spot where her bassinet will go is cleared out and waiting for the rocker’s delivery from Mike and Lindsay. Cause we’re nutty like this, Jim and I put towels in the car to protect my leather car seats during transport to the hospital if I'm leaking and put a picnic blanket with a waterproof side down under the sheet to shield the mattress in case my water breaks while I'm in bed.

I thought that dancing at the wedding and 30 flights of stairs at Homearama would do me some good labor-wise, but apparently not. I have a maternity massage scheduled for Saturday that’s been known to start the process for others. The doctor at my appointment quizzed me on when it’s time to call when labor’s started- I got both things right (water breaking and 5 minute apart contractions)! All this being said, when I woke up at 5:21 with some pains this morning, I started to get nervous at the possibility this was the real thing, thankfully it wasn't!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on being full term! :)
why were you thankful the pains weren't labor this morning? B/c it's not the due date, or...? Now that she's full term, it's all fair game, right? :)

Viki said...

You're not nutty at all, just practical. I wouldn't want my leather seats getting wrecked either. :-)

Megs said...

I agree with Viki... it's common sense preparing everything and be cautious. I'm thankful you didn't have the baby this morning... you will be at work when you go into labor! However.... if you would have went into labor this morning, there is a huge chance you could have had Nicole on MY birthday! Go into labor NOW! :)

Gtemp said...

Wow... you guys are just odd...

Mamma Sarah said...

Game on... Glad to hear that you are more prepared than we were at this point! :-) Maybe that's cause you learned from our procrastination. :-P I'm getting totally excited with all this "pain" talk. Hooray! :-)

TreyJ said...

I love how everyone's jockeying for position, trying to get Nicole born on their birthdays. That's awesome!

I'm still in the running, though it would make Karen really unhappy to be so late, I'm afraid...

LisaMarie said...

I LOVE the picnic blanket idea! It made me laugh out loud. Does this mean you get to eat in bed every night? LOL!!!!!!!

Finlands finest said...

I am going to be one of those nutty people too. I would want some fluids in my car or mattress...