Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A little baby excitement

Around 3:00pm yesterday I had quite a bit of clear fluid loss- enough to get my pants noticeably wet and make me wonder if I had sprung a leak. My baby books mentioned that some times your membranes can rupture but the baby acts as a cork and prevents the rush of fluid normally associated with your water breaking. Anyway, I wanted to make sure so I called the doctor who wanted to be sure and consequently sent me to the hospital.

Now, before I continue, recognize that I do not have a baby yet…

So I left around 4:40 and headed to Mercy. I waited around for a half hour for the nurse to see me which had me antsy but afterwards I understood – she was with me for about 45 straight minutes, so it’s no wonder there was an initial delay. She hooked me up to a baby monitor (watching heartbeats which were stable around 148) and a contraction monitor. I had had non-painful contractions much of the afternoon, but it was really eye-opening to watch them being tracked on the little graph paper where you could see the peaks and valleys of contraction-no contraction every 3-5 minutes.

Yeah, every 3-5 minutes was pretty stable which made the nurse think something may be starting… Ultimately the contractions continued from around the 3:00 time when this ordeal started until we left the hospital around 8pm. So, once the doctor FINALLY arrived and I got checked out firsthand by her with a very painful device, she proclaimed there was no rupture and sent me home. Had there been a rupture they would have ultimately induced me to start the "real" contractions.

What I learned:
1. If I'm not in pain or soaking a towel with fluid don’t bother calling
2. Being in the hospital is BORING
3. The monitors are really really cool. If I owned one I’d just sit on my couch and watch it for hours

11 comments:

Katrin said...

This is so exciting! You sound a lot cooler than I would've been in your situation...

Jessica said...

A membrane leak could be slow like you had (but normally comes with obvious contractions) :) Most likely Nicky was just squishing you bladder even though you didn't feel like you had to go. Good to be precautious! Did they say if you have made anymore progress? It is great that you are already having unnoticable consistent contractions, that cam make for a much shorter, easier labor :)

Megs said...

Sorry you were at the hospital for so long yesterday. I was super excited for you! Remember... you HAVE to go at work... sometime around 9am would be perferrable :)

Viki said...

You're cute - if it weren't your kid in there I'd tell you to keep yourself entertained by poking and prodding yourself to see what would happen on the monitor. :-)

Finlands finest said...

WOW, that is exciting. I am glad everything is okay. I hope what Jess says is true, and you will have a shorter, easier labor.

The hospital is boring. You need a book?

Karen said...

I have a book in the hospital bag as well as cards, movies, etc. i think it was boring cause i knew i was going to go home - just a lot of sitting around and waiting for official clearance

Anonymous said...

(Boring, Yea, and no baby to keep you entertained just staring at her, let alone sleeping and feeding and changing her)

Anonymous said...

oh yea. make sure you post to your blog when you are going into labor. :) Just kidding. But someone's going to have to notify me!

ThreeGuysNLittleLady said...

Marti & Kat's un-twin sister (mother of 4) says even if you are bored enough to read a book you will be so anxious you will spend all your time reading the same sentence over and over again. Congrats!

TreyJ said...

So what was Jim's take on this?

Anonymous said...

My take is that I didn't really expect this to be anything major as Karen was idle most of the time. I expect the real thing to have her at a little more loss of breath. However, I am glad we went.

This does have me a bit more anxious to see what this little girl looks like. My vote is that she will have dark hair.