Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Week 38 - 2 to go!

How your baby's growing: Your baby has really fattened up. She likely weighs between 6 and 7 1/2 pounds now (boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls), and she's probably between 19 and 20 inches long. She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test with your pinky! Her organs are fully developed and in place, but her lungs and brain — though developed enough for her to function now — will continue to mature right through childhood.

My Take: The one thing Jim and I agreed on during our hospital stint on Monday is that we’re both eager to see what Nicole will look like. Jim “can’t imagine” her with any other hair color than his, I'm not so sure (I was blonde and still “am”). Thanks to recessive genes we know she’ll have blue eyes and unattached earlobes.

Appointment this morning was not as great as normal because I gained more weight than I wanted to (any). Nicole’s doing well and the doctor still maintains she’s going to be a small baby (hooray!)- Mom says don’t count on that 'cause they told her that too with Greg and he was a pound+ more than me. I'm 1cm dilated and 50% effaced – making good progress.

I still feel really great- moving at a slower pace but still have quite a bit of energy. I hope this keeps up when she gets here!

9 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Everything sounds good. :) I wouldn't worry too much about gaining a few pounds, my understanding is that when breastfeeding, it comes right off. :)

I can't wait to seewhat your beautiful baby looks like either!!

Viki said...

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

*clapping* *clapping*

None of us can wait to see what she'll look like - I'll bet she's blonde, though...I know Ryann wasn't, but most babies are...

Anonymous said...

are most babies really blonde? (is that like the belief most babies are born with blueish eyes?) I wouldn't know. from my pictures I always had brown hair. Karen, well, I'm going with she's naturally dark (I don't believe in any true blondes over the age of 14) I'd assume hair color at birth is an ethnicity thing, and being the melting pot of America, there is no "norm" anymore.

ThreeGuysNLittleLady said...

As Marti and Kat can tell you...my husband and I both have dark brown hair and we both have brownish eyes. Our second son was a little bit of a suprise with red hair and blue eyes. (Our first son was bald for almost a year and a half.) Enjoy these next few weeks with your husband. Your life is going to change in ways you can never imagine...it is amazingly wonderful.

LisaMarie said...

Your list from yesterday cracked me up!

I hope you have this baby before I go on vacation! I want to come meet her all fresh and sticky.....LOL!

OH, and I've been watching this show called Bringing Home Baby and it's weird. I keep imagining you bringing home Nicole. It films the first 36 hours of new parents. It's wild! I'm so jealous!!!!!!!!!! But I sure do love sleep too.....it's such a catch 22....

Megs said...

Don't worry too much about the weight. I'm sure you'll drop it off right away! If not, it'll be more motivation for you to come hang out with me so you can get a small workout as well as hear the office gossip that you're missing! I can't wait to meet Nicole!

Anonymous said...

Yea. I'm sure we've discussed openly, your second son was totally the mailman's child! Not sure how genetics worked with him (he looks just like you. except for the blue eyed thing. Pa?)

ew. Lisa. You actually wrote the words "fresh and sticky" in reference to a baby.

Mamma Sarah said...

Sounds like you're moving right along. Can't wait to see your little bundle and I'm sure she'll look like you both. :-P Just remember Alex has jet black hair when born and now is blonde as blonde can be.

FYI-all babies eyes are blue when born because the pigment isn't developed. Eye color can change all through the first year and isn't "set" for some time.

Anonymous said...

So do all redheaded children come from mailmen? That what my family says about me too :) Karen I am so excited for you!! I can't beleive how fast this is going.Oh, and you have had amazing control over your weight don't worry about a few pounds.