Friday, February 09, 2007

Who's coming to my home?

I read a lot of blogs. Only one is from someone I’ve never met, Katrin from Austria, and the rest are all friends of mine from grade school, high school, college, and the “real world”. I'm sure I'm not the only person to use their own blog page as the hub to get to everyone else’s (by clicking on my friends’ links off my page), but I wonder if others use my page for that same reason rather than their own?

I am surprised when people drop into conversation something they read on my blog about my life when I didn’t know they were readers (I don’t know they read principally because they don’t comment, which is okay too!). I will say, I also am impressed when people I don’t know, like Jim’s co-worker, read along when they’ve never met me! How flattering!!

Sarah’s counter also intrigued me. Chuck pointed out that I have 850+ views on my page over the last year as stated on my profile page (even I didn’t know that information was there ‘til he told me!) but I wonder how many of those are unique individuals on separate days, or if they're the same people multiple times a day like me racking up the tally because I keep bouncing from my page to everyone else’s.

12 comments:

Finlands finest said...

The 850 profile views are just for viewing your profile page. Going off of that, I would assume if you kept a counter like Sarah W. You would have had a least a few thousand hits last year. Heck maybe in a month. Each time you click the profile, it adds to the counter. I tested this theory on my profile and yours. You can get more views just clicking your own profile.

That being said, I in the past and sometimes still do use your page to jump to others via the links. This was especially true prior to me using links or updating mine. Now I use my links.

I think it would be interesting to see how many people view your page in a day...

Martha said...

yea, I use my page to jump to others, but I also use yours and others to jump to peoples who I don't have on my list, yet I still visit periodically. I certainly don't have anyone's pages memorized, it's obviously easier to use the links!!! I haven't checked mine for views. I assume anyone who doesn't comment, with a few exceptions, doesn't read it.

Martha said...

hahaha. apparently my profile is set to private...which means a big fat ZERO people have viewed it....At least I can't be disappointed to find only 3 or something....jI can't believe it's been THOUSANDS. :-)

Martha said...

and ps. I'm going to start rigging your profile numbers. now you won't know if they're real or not

I'm sorry. I seem to be in a loopy mood. Perhaps b/c I only have 35 more hours of classtime left (thru next Friday).

Sarah said...

As stupid as it sounds, I have a blog reading routine that I follow....I start at my page, to Karen's, to Sarah W's, to Lisa's, to Viki's, to Trey's....and so on. I come back to yours when I run out of links, cause you've got everyone!!

Finlands finest said...

My dad reads your blog sometimes. :)

Finlands finest said...

So this is cute, my dad read on your blog that you were pregnant and ran to tell my mom the exciting news. She told him she already knew. He was like how do you know, she just now put it on her blog. She told him I had told her... He threw his hands in the air and exclaimed "I'm always the last to know..."

LisaMarie said...

I use Internet Explorer 7 and there is a way to Tab websites. It's awesome. I too have a method to reading blogs, but I have them tabbed so I don't use other ppl's links.

Anonymous said...

I use your blog as my main hub.

Megs said...

I have to admit that I use your's, mine, Lindsay's, Jen's, Viki's and Sarah's page (I'm sure I'm forgetting people) to jump back and forth to the main people's pages I check everyday. So I probably count for about 2 or 3 per day and probably more than half on my own! I use my page to listen to music during the day so I may open it about 4 or 5 times a day. So my tracker is WAY off!

Mamma Sarah said...

This is too funny. My site counter tells me where you people come from (mostly Karen's site) and where you go after viewing my page (mostly back to Karens or you follow some other random link. I'm starting to see an interesting pattern. The cool thing about my site meter is that I can ignore my own IP address so that I don't count myself "viewing" and using my links. Pretty cool.

Martha said...

Sarah, your counter really is starting to scare me!!! I don't like being "watched" so much!!!