Monday, February 26, 2007

Eating Habits

A lot of people have “weird” food-isms.

My grandpa Templin would only eat bananas if they were completely brown (therefore sweet and mushy) whereas other people won’t touch a banana with any significant spotting at all.

My brother Greg mixes cottage cheese and applesauce together before he eats it.

Jim likes his cookies undercooked so they’re still semi-doughy in the middle.

I have my own food-isms too that are probably a little neurotic. I think one of the best inventions in serving are the plates with individual sections for food. That way, I can more easily separate every item on my plate so that nothing touches and therefore sauces/flavors don’t intrude on each other.

I also eat in order. That is, I will eat one item on my plate in its entirety and then move on to the next one; of course never mixing the two in the process. I can take this so far as to eat beef stew item by item- all the carrots first, then potatoes, then meat, etc., even if it’s in the same bowl. There are a few exceptions to this- Chinese food and soup come to mind.

I have conflicting views as to the order of eating at a picnic. Inevitably there are a lot of really good items like baked beans, deviled eggs, etc. Most of the time you also get some kind of sweet item like a Waldorf salad or that green pistachio/pineapple fluff stuff. Which to eat first can be hard to choose– do I eat the sweet stuff first so I'm sure I have room and therefore ensure I get to taste it OR do I eat all the other stuff first and save that for the end so I have a good taste in my mouth when I'm done?? Tough one…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i try to always start with the brownies.

Viki said...

Among other things - just ask Trey for a list as I don't even realize half of what can be classified as weird anymore - I never eat dessert before dinner in the evening. Once I start I have no will power and will end up eating chocolate all day...

Gtemp said...

First off, cottage cheese and applesauce is amazing! But yes, you are weird about having to separate everything. However, I am like you in the fact that I need to finish what I'm eating first before I can move onto the next piece of food on my plate. EVERYONE should be like that!

Mamma Sarah said...

My brother mixed his peas and applesauce when he was a kid. Don't think he eats either now as an adult. Danny puts ketchup on his eggs. Danny says that it's weird that I don't have any weird eating habits. This was one we have been thinking about for some time today after reading this post. Sorry, guess I'm not a weirdo... :-P

LisaMarie said...

I'm with Greg. Applesauce and cottage cheese mixed together is AMAZING. I've been doing it since I was a little kid.

I'm also in agreement on the divider plates. I hate when my food touches. My in-laws think I'm weird. The Erdahls are a clan that pile every food on top of each other. It doesn't matter if they're touching on the plate because they say everything is going to the same place- your stomach! I would rather enjoy each flavor seperately on my plate.

And I'm the exact opposite of some people. I like to start with something salty and work my way to the sweet things.

Martha said...

My grampa was the same way with bananas!

I like my cookies/brownies/etc undercooked (ok..actually, the raw batter/dough is best).

I do the same thing w/ foods...I eat one thing at a time and work my way around, even, as you say, with a stew-like item where everything is already together (I will play, every now and again, and pile everything together to check out flavor combinations).

and btw, I prefer to have sweet first AND last. :)

Viki said...

I don't put ketchup on my eggs, but I love them with A1 steak sauce. Oh, and I love the cottage cheese & applesauce, too...

Gtemp said...

So after reading all these messages I've come to realize that me, lisa, and vicki are the only intelligent, normal, and the only people with good taste... Good job ladies, we need to stick together in this goofy world of weird food eaters/habits such as karen betty! ;-)

Martha said...

ketchup on eggs is, sadly, VERY VERY common. As is siracha. *sigh* (I have beliefs that both condiments are overused and therefor under appreciated).