Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snowed Out, then In

The big snow of ’07 hit yesterday. It took my normal 13 minute commute to 1 hour and 28 minutes. Still, while long, it doesn’t frustrate me because everyone else is just as backed up as I am. Further, when there are so many cars on the road they’re going to be bad because salt trucks can’t get through. So, even though I left work early, I didn’t get home until about 5, so it wasn’t that much extra time than normal.

It did, however, feel like a lot of extra time. Jim finished up our taxes, I finished part of Lindsay’s baby shower gift, we ate dinner and watched After the Sunset. It was a neat movie because the protagonists in the flick are thieves and the cop is the “bad guy”. Salma Hayek was the female lead and I’ll admit that even I was in awe of her figure which she kept scantily clad for most of the show. Final rating: B.

After that Jim conned me into watching a second movie, Just Friends. This was cute though kind of quirky. Several good lines and scenes, but a little too cheesy in other places. I gave it a B, Jim gave it an A-.

The kid is moving again though not near as much as before. Perhaps it’s time to pull out the oranges again. I had SEVERE stomach (not abdomen) cramps last night, dead on to some I had in early December that, while very painful when I was vertical, were tolerable when I laid down.

Other interesting news, I was VERY touched and impressed that my brother Greg’s girlfriend reached out to me this week via email in an effort to get to know me better. She even proposed an evening where the four of us (she and Greg, Jim and I) can hang out. I do feel very protective of my little brothers and I am innately skeptical that anyone they date isn’t good enough for them. Jim says I can be intimidating because of this protectiveness and how dear Mike and Greg are to me. Not that my approval means too much to anyone probably in the big picture, but her friendliness and enthusiasm to reach out to me goes a long way. Not that I didn't like her before, but I like her more already!

6 comments:

Katrin said...

This is just how I feel about my little brother. I might even be over-protective because I only have one. His girlfriend and I took a long time to adjust, but now we get along. Not more! Haha. I guess I am taking the mother in law role...

Gtemp said...

That sucks about the snow. We didn't get hardly any... haha! Yeah her wanting to hang out w/ you guys was all her idea. I was kinda shocked myself when she mentioned it to me. I think she's just trying to suck up to the family so I keep her around... haha but I think I was gonna do that anyway.

Megs said...

Aww how cute! All the Templin's are paired up and what's great... is that I like everyone of 'em! I trust very much that you'll only like Holley more once you get to know her more. She's very fun and nice to be around!

And I told you you should have left with me yesterday. I left immediately when they told us we could which extended my 13 minute ride home only 20 minutes. I was home and on the couch by 2:15! It was great!

Sarah said...

I totally understand how you feel about your little brothers and immediately assuming that no girl is good enough for them. When Brian told me he was going to propose to Debbie I was like "wait a minute, you can't marry her, I don't even know her!". Of course she and I have gotten close since then, and I couldn't be happier!

It's really cause we're such great big sisters!

Finlands finest said...

That's great that Holley wants to spend time with you! I love to see a siblings significant other interested in meeting the rest of the family. It really shows character.

Glad your road time was shorter than most. :)

Mamma Sarah said...

That's wonderful about Greg's gal wanting to get to know you guys better. I know exactly how you feel... strange isn't it being the oldest and female... and YOU being protective of the brother(s).