Friday, February 02, 2007

A little Chopin in the morning... and all day long

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MIKE – he’s 25 today! Engaged, with a new house, and a new baby coming very soon... my little brother’s all grown up! awwwwww!

Tom P was a wonderful guy and gave me 7 CDs of classical piano music to play during work. This is intended to stimulate the baby’s brain development and make it smarter. I'm not sure if it’s all bologna or if there’s merit (and there’s no way to tell what they would have been like without it if you played it), but I figure I'm not taking any chances.

So, for the last 3 days, I’ve been a Classical music junkie. No joke, the kid moves a LOT more than normal when it’s on. I assume it’s because s/he likes it, but I think it was Trey who proposed movement is perhaps a DISlike on the baby’s part… oh well. It's stuck with it since I have no way of knowing!

11 comments:

Viki said...

Happy birthday Mike! Today's my little sil's birthday, too. :-)

I'd bet the grape likes the music - my mom likes to tell the story of when she was pregnant with me and went to see an opera her friend was performing in. Whenever her friend, a soprano, was singing I'd kick like mad...

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Mike! Hurray!

I won't totally jump up on my soap box, but there is in fact significan research that supports exposure to classical music having a significant effect on brain development, as well as spacial reasoning. I could go on forever, but I think that's enough!

Mamma Sarah said...

I played lots of different types of music for Alex... poor guys was tortured with Dave Matthews and Steve Vai a lot. He loves classical and singing. Hence the reason I think he's so well behaved in church and at concerts. :-) Keep playing that Grape music! It's good for you and the baby (lowers your stress).

Megs said...

Happy birthday to Mike as well!

And I don't know about the baby or not but I have to say listening to your "on hold" music from my desk definitely puts me sleep!! It's so relaxing!

Jessica said...

Happy BDay Mike!

I played a lot of classical music for Emily in utero! Look how smart she came out ;) Seriously though, she is a tru music lover. When I was about 7-8 month along, my BIL gave a percussion concert and she litterally was kicking me to the beat of the drums!!!

Martha said...

How about balancing the appreciation for music and playing a little guns n roses? And Dwight Yokum. hahahaha. If you ever get sick of the same music, just put it on your mp3 player or whatever and place the headphones around your belly. and post the pics, please!
I agree, Karen,w/o controls, one will never know "what might have been". All goes back to nature vs nurture. And there are so many variables to not have a control yet make a statistically significant decision.

TreyJ said...

NOpe, I proposed that the baby liked stuff...I believe it was another friend who disputed my claim. I certainly hope that Baby likes classical music! :-)

TreyJ said...

And Mike has the same b-day as my sister Kaitlin (although Mrs. J already mentioned that).

TreyJ said...

Oh - one more thing. Don't just play piano music. Try some Mahler sometime! :-D

Viki said...

How about some Handel operas? That's some cool shit! :-)

TreyJ said...

Something tells me that the words "Handel" and "cool shit" have never been used together before, but that's why I love you! :-)