Sunday, October 08, 2006

Weekend of 10/7/06

What a weekend. Jim went to Spencerville to help his uncle remodel the living room so I took the opportunity to help my parents out by dog-sitting all weekend (they went to the Biltmore House and Mike & Lindsay went camping, otherwise leaving the dogs alone).

Remember that I mentioned Buster was diabetic and in the hospital? Well, the final recommendation was 13cc’s of insulin 2X/day and a very strict diet of diabetic dog food. I picked Buster up from Aunt Mary’s on Friday afternoon after work and he seemed very lethargic. Aunt Mary was worried about him since he had no pep and didn’t even greet my uncle when he came home.

When I took him home he stayed like that through his shot and dinner. I took him upstairs for bed around midnight and shortly after I turned off the light he fell off the bed. Right after I put him back up he jumped off again to urinate on the carpet – very unlike him. I rushed him outside and watched him as he couldn't walk or even hold himself up. He’d wobble like a drunkard and then crash on his face. The emergency vet line said to feed him and give him some sugar, which I did, and that worked almost immediately.

The next day when he didn’t improve I took him into the vet. After a blood test they recommended I cut his insulin dosage in half! That dosage change made me feel justified for being concerned and like less of an idiot for worrying about him so much and wondering if I was overreacting. Anyway, he’s doing really well now, that alteration seems to have made a big difference.

Enough about the dog and sad things… On Sunday night Jim and I performed our civic duty as west-siders and went bowling for our league. My first week of bowling was really really good for me – mid-150’s- but overall jacked my average to a 119 after 3 weeks of competition. My previous high-ever score was a 170 which I bowled last year in our league. Check out the results of our Sunday night efforts (Carole was sick and took the blind of 10 pins below average):


We had a Bye which means we have to score at no less than 40 pins below our team average for the game. Blew that away! : )

4 comments:

Gtemp said...

thanks for looking after Buster. Mom told me all about the bonding time you and him had over the weekend. Do you think you'll have time to dye my hair this week/weekend?

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear that Buster was having a tough time of it over the weekend. Glad that they were able to take care of him.

Oh yeah, and it still cracks me up that you're on a bowling league. Don't know why!

Viki said...

Oh, poor Buster! Don't ever feel like a dork for being really concerned about your animals. Do you remember the time we thought Siggy was dying - Trey took the day off to take him to the vet but all he had was a hairball? Glad it all got straightened out.

Hooray for good bowling!

Dale said...

Man, looks like team bye didn't show up. :)