Friday, October 27, 2006

I've been waiting for today all week...

It’s FINALLY Friday! Yessssss!

ADDED: I'm a brat and forgot to mention my VERY special visitors on Wednesday! Alex & Sarah came down from Dayton to have lunch with me at Cracker Barrel and check out the new office. It was really cool to see them, hear the new news, and to have some good company for lunch! Besides, he is the most adorable baby ever so it's always cute to visit! : )

So, apparently I picked the wrong spam message to use as an illustration- my friends are way too silly to be serious something as electronic litter. I should have used an example like “I'm from some unknown African tribe and I have a lot of money that I need to have kept with someone trustworthy like you, even though I don’t know you. If you keep it for me I’ll give you part of the riches. First though, send me some money to show me that you’re serious about this responsibility” or some crap like that. Then I wouldn’t have gotten harassed about parts I don’t even have!

Anyway… our friend Anjali came into town on Tuesday to pick up some stuff that we were storing for her in our basement. As she came all the way from NC she stayed for a day and a half to visit. Nice time in general. I did miss out on dinner with her last night because I went to Tom’s to see him and hang out with Cincinnati’s newest resident, Jen. Tom put literally hours of effort into cooking her and I this really amazing breadbowl potato & veggie soup that made me forget I was in his kitchen and not Panera. Also nice was that Jen asked me to be one of “her people” at their wedding, which was very touching for me. : )

So, here I am, back at work on a rainy Friday morning. Tonight the family is gathering at Grandma’s for dinner and tomorrow Jim and I are hosting friends of ours for dinner. When we went to their house for the first time a few months ago the metaphorical bar was set pretty high- they have a beautiful “grown up” house, fancy contemporary serving pieces, and Scott made one of the most amazing homemade dinners I’d ever had. So, in retaliation, I solicited help from my chef-in-training friend, Martha, for ideas that would make a good impression but are still in my culinary league. Some of her suggestions I couldn't even pronounce, but all in all I think I picked something that will widen some eyes and not taste too bad either. I’ll keep you posted.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice having an almost-chef around- I have benefitted greatly from marti's culinary education...my friends actually think I can cook now (they apparently forgot about the toast, jell-o, pudding, hummus, beer cheese, kitchen fires, etc...)

Viki said...

Have you ever heard of "Cuisine at Home"? It's a cooking magazine Trey and I got a gift subscription for one year and have been renewing ever since. It's really pretty simple, and they break recipes down to explain everything, including seemingly complex techniques. Recipes look and taste amazing, but are really simple.

Mamma Sarah said...

Jeeze... sounds like what we should be doing is going to one of the one night cooking classes where they teach you how to prepare fancy stuff. Hmmm... maybe once we move to Cincy we COULD do that!

Mamma Sarah said...

P.s. Alex is mad at you. You didnt' mention him in your blog. He cried and cried and cried after I read your blog and there was no mention of how you showed off your new office digs to him. :-P

Sarah said...

Man, you got all kinds of cute visitors this week! How lucky are you!?!

I think it would be a blast if we all did a one night cooking class together....we should look into that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment. It was wonderful to have you over, and for Jen and I to have our first visitor to "our" home. Since it is our home now, and not just mine :).

Martha said...

Thank you for the compliments (I love being mentioned in peoples blogs...it makes my day). I have been intrigued about this dinner event!! What are you serving?? I don't believe I heard your final menu.

PS - didn't I advise NOT mentioning you have a culinarian for a friend? :-) Don't take credit away from yourself, you're doing all the work with recipes and menu...I didn't do a thing other than throw out a few ideas.

Martha said...

PPS - rainy Friday, eh? It's a beautiful crisp sunny day here! (I only feel the need to rub this in as it won't be much longer that I can say we're sunnier than you for a while....)
:-) On my way to sit at on a patio for happy hour. :-)

Mamma Sarah said...

:-P to Marti for a sunny day...

Mamma Sarah said...

P.s. Alex smiled and smiled when we re-read your blog tonight. :-) He loves his Aunt Karen. :-)

Dale said...

I had a discussion with a friend once about what we would do if we had a lot of money... Both of us concluded we'd hire a personal chef before we buy a lot of things, like a 7th car, $10 million home... That way we could have good and healthy food all the time. Who could want anything more? Maybe if I become really rich I can hire Martha. :)

Martha said...

I am always available for hire. (Wait, that doesn't sound right) my price goes up after graduation, especially after having helped with an event for the Congressman! (which, how did you know he was an Asian one?! I never mentioned it...) :-)