Saturday, September 09, 2006

Crazy Friday

Friday was a really really long day. Work in the morning was slammed and while I did accomplish some things, I started more than I finished. Mom and Grandma W took me out to lunch which was great, but I came back to several blazing fires when I returned to the office. When my phone battery died I borrowed my boss’s phone so that I could communicate and make the most of my 45 minute drive to Dayton for an appointment.

The appointment was painful to say the least. I had to meet with one my clients I most respect about his services that have been horrid since day 1. While he is (and I appreciate that he is) a very reasonable man and he only wants the best for the company knowing this I felt even more guilty in letting him down. I left there over an hour and a half later and pouted because I was only 10 minutes from Sarah’s house (where I was going for the evening) but had to come all the way back down to Cincinnati to give my boss his phone and to meet another client to give them some promo items. That other client didn’t come until nearly 6 which meant overall Jim and I were an hour later to the Williams than initially intended. Very frustrating. Fortunately, Sarah and Danny were really cool about it and didn’t harass me at all!

We had a great time at the Williams’s, as always. Sarah let me cuddle with Alex a ton, feed him, help with his footprints for the baby book, and gush the whole night. He’s so sweet. I don’t believe her that he’s ever bad. Danny made us lamb chops, Portobello mushrooms with bleu cheese and bacon, and baby carrots for dinner. I seriously felt like I was in a restaurant.

When we left around 12:15 the night turned really bad. We watched a car turn out of Chili’s and start driving on the wrong side of the road (other side of the median from us) and ultimately turn left on a red through the major intersection of New Germany and North Fairfield Roads. Because we were shocked to see this at all we continued to watch the car as it went again on the wrong side of the median on N. Fairfield and head straight for on-coming traffic. Just a few seconds passed before we witnessed the car slam into a motorcycle and send the driver flying 25 yards up the road. Of all horrible things, the driver of the car flees the scene by getting out of her car and running away, leaving the cyclist lying in the middle of the street. It was totally unbelievable.

We called 911, talked briefly to the dispatcher and turned around to help/make a police statement. I’ll admit I was disappointed because it took police about 5 minutes from when we called to actually get there and another 5 for the ambulance to show up. Some early-20’s guys had gone to the cyclist and were asking him to wiggle his fingers, etc. The poor guy was in horrible shape – blood all over, moaning and crying and beyond words for the most part. Horrible. We stayed about a half hour so I could make a written statement and then we headed home.

I feel rather motivated to get my CPR certification up-to-date now. Maybe I’ll look into some local places we can do that…

4 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Thanks for a fun filled evening of talking and "gushing". It was very relaxing.

We were totally shocked to hear about the accident you witnessed. Guess Shroeder knew we were to call you and check up on you guys. I'm truely glad though it wasn't you involved.

You forgot to mention the pie... the one we totally harrassed you for getting... lol! Thanks again.

Viki said...

What a horrible thing to witness, but good thing you guys were there to call 911. How far were you from a fire station? I know that in areas where they're more spread out, it can take paramedics a long time to get there. Anyway, I hope the biker guy is Ok, and I'm sure the guy in the car couldn't have gotten very far.

Glad dinner was so good - the mushrooms with the bleu cheese sound incredible. Too bad Trey doesn't like either!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I'd be having nightmares! I second the comment of glad you weren't involved!

Love
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an ordeal! I'm very glad you weren't involved!