Thursday, August 31, 2006

First Real Class

Today was my first “real” day of teaching as Tuesday was just introductions and syllabus review. I was nervous on the way down to class which made me have to use the restroom very badly once I got to school. This was frustrating because I followed one of my favorite MBA teachers down the hill to the building but knew that couldn't stop him to say hello because I wanted to rush in, take care of business, and get to class a few minutes early. I hope I run into him again though to catch up.

I was surprised when a guy in the class came up and asked if I would consider being the chair of the Sales Club that one of his friends is trying to start. I'm thinking to myself – “wow, this is cool and would be a good way to be a bigger part of the XU community; but what in the heck am I supposed to do for them?” as I have no experience (obviously) with this kind of thing. I feel like Karen Cruse (who got asked to moderate about 2 million things over the last 3 years). Ginger, who I'm replacing, was supposed to do this apparently, but now that I'm the new Ginger I guess that’s why he asked me. There is another sales prof. though who taught the class pre-Ginger. Perhaps they don’t know about him or I can recommend him if I don’t have time to help them out.

Anyway, class went really well. I got in the grove pretty quickly and students were thinking and participating as much as I wanted them to. I made 2 mistakes that I will work not to repeat: 1) I posted the wrong sheet online so when I went to use it in class I got screwed up and lost 10 minutes of planned activity; 2) I didn’t prepare enough material so they got out about 20 minutes early from the 75 minute class. I think part of this was the lost activity from item #1 and part was because Chapter 1 wasn’t as robust as some of the others.

So that’s that! I'm in business! More later posts if something exciting happens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went well overall. It is always nice (for the student) to get out of class early for the first day anyway. I am sure you will have much more to say as the weeks progress!!

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like things went well. Don't worry, I'm sure the students were thrilled to be out early. :)

Do you want to be the chair of the sales club? What would that involve??

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm excited for you to be teaching! It's slightly odd to think of you teaching people my age though - esp one of my former classmates from highschool (Don't worry - she's pretty damn smart so you shouldn't have too much trouble with her!).... but anyways, you should have no problem. Esp since that's all you do all day is present our company and what we offer. If you ever need to put the class in line, just let me know and I'll come with you one day and crack 'em into place!

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear things went well. Don't worry about the mistakes as I'm sure every prof has made them... I know even seasoned profs make them.

Can't wait to hear as things progress!

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I am very glad things went well. This is a wonderful first step for you!

I'm sure you'll be just fine from this point out. You are always as close to perfect, in everything you do, as anyone I know!

Sarah said...

Congrats for class going well! Everyone is expected to make mistakes when they take on something new, and it sounds like yours were quite minor, so I'd say you're in business!

Viki said...

Sounds like you could've done much worse for your first class - I'm sure everyone loved you. :-)

What does it take to sponsor a club? I think you'd be a cool advisor.