Monday, August 28, 2006

Long Nights, Longer Memories

Jim and I watched Spanglish (A, excellent acting) yesterday and there are three facets to the movie that struck me that I’ll post about separately.

At the height of the movie two characters spend the evening together talking and laughing. When the conversation climaxes and it gets late, the woman attempts to get up from the couch they’re sitting on. The guy she’s with touches her arm and says “Don’t. As soon as our feet touch the floor the night is over and I'm not ready for that yet.”

Have you ever been there before? Where you’re so deep talking with the person you’re with and so connected that you don’t want the night to end? I remember a night I had with an ex-boyfriend where we sat in his room watching a movie and talking and it felt like we were the only people in the entire world.

The night I met Jim we kept doing more activities (midnight dessert, pool, darts, cuddling) because we weren’t done being together yet. I kept calling home every other hour to let Mom know I was alive but needed more time with the incredible guy I met.

I had that kind of night with Sarah F. on our Senior year retreat. We sat on the bridge of that campsite with our feet dangling over the tumbling water below us and talked and talked and cried and cried. We left that bridge with such a deep understanding of each other – I’ve felt that close with only a few others my whole life.

Those kinds of nights are so huge, so important that they redirect part of us forever, I think. They take a lot out of you if you do it right, but the bonds you form during those times are nearly unbreakable. I think that’s also why when/if relationships with people you’ve had experiences like that with start to fade it’s more painful than nearly anything else- part of you is still with that person from that night and you can’t get it back.

I'm just grateful that I had the opportunity to keep part of those friends with me. Often times it’s remembering that part that gets me through tough times without them and makes me revel in our good times together even more.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You publicly post that Jim cuddles.

Are you deliberately TRYING to reduce the 'man-value' of his black belt?!?!

NEVER tell anyone that your husband is a cuddler. Even if he is happy to do so, you just don't don't do it.

Talk about him as a hunter and gatherer. Talk about the time he brought some fresh kill home and mastered fire to make dinner.

Or when you first met in the hunting grounds when you both argued over who really took down the wildebeest, and how he made you laugh when he pretended to trip over the carcass.

Or how you were impressed that no one had yet matched you in a one day total of rat hunting at the city dump until Jim.

Jim - you need to do more beching and scratching!!!

Andy Martini
"Flame-proof and Limousine Ready, Baby!"

Mamma Sarah said...

First, LOL to Andy Martini's comment.

Second, those are the true relationship times we should all remember, cherish, and try to have with each other. I know that Danny and I have had several of those moments. I also remember a time with you that I didn't want to end that happened a couple of weeks ago. :-D

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have had plenty of those nights, with many different people.


BackPorch in June was that way with you.

Almost all of my time with Jen right now is that way.


And for me at least, those times never end. I hold those memories close, and I call them up when I need them. They give me strength, and happiness too.

Finlands finest said...

I definately remember many of those times with various friends.

I remember sitting with you in yearbook classes (working diligently of course....) and all those talks we had.

Jess and I had one when she came out to visit me in Chicago.

Tom and I have had many of those moments.

Dale said...

When you said you had that kind of night with Sarah F. I thought you were gonna talk about you two cuddling. :)

Aw, Jim's a cuddler!

LisaMarie said...

LOL to Andy's comment.

And I have that type of moment every time Kendall and I have sex. HA! I just wanted to write about Kendall and I having sex in your blog at least once! Okay, not having sex IN your blog...you know what I mean.....LOL!!!!

Sarah said...

I remember that night very vividly as well. I have thought of it often in the past few years, especially when I feel like we're a million miles apart and it's been light years since we really talked.

It's a good thing I live in Ohio now so you can come visit!

And for the record, Karen and I also had many many nights when we cuddled. Almost every night of our Senior year, in fact!

Karen said...

i think any time i cuddle with my friends or husband is a good night! :)

and jim's sensitivity is another aspect of his sexiness. and he "hunts" well too.

Gtemp said...

Lol now I just feel embarassed to be outlifted by Jimbo "the cuddler" Eutsler!

Next you're gonna tell me that he knits sweaters and bakes pies. I'd hate to break it to you but there is no pie made out of steak and potatoes!

Viki said...

Actually, I believe there is a pie made out of steak & potatoes - ever had a Guiness Pie?

Andy - any man who can't cuddle doesn't deserve the woman who's with him.

That is all I'm going to comment on right now, as this is one of those rare times I'm not feeling reflective.

TreyJ said...

The only thing better than pie is a pie with meat in it!

Anonymous said...

MrsJ said:
"Andy - any man who can't cuddle doesn't deserve the woman who's with him."

Does passing out on a showgirl after sex count? Then yes, I have 'cuddled'.

Andy Martini
"Flame-proof and Limousine Ready, Baby!"

Karen said...

oh my god. time to write a new post so this conversation ends and andy's life is spared.

Gtemp said...

I like the way Andy thinks. Cuddling is sweet!