Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Alaska - Day 7

On the last day of our cruise we stayed on the ship the whole day as we sailed from Icy Strait to Seward. Anyone who's been on a cruise before knows that there are plenty of things to do to occupy your time. Some highlights from this last day:


  • The Hubbard Glacier - this is (I think) the largest glacier in North America. We got to watch it from about a half mile out for roughly 3 hours. REALLY REALLY COOL. From our view on the 12th deck, that far out, the glacier's top was still eye-level. Jim and I are guessing that it's like 300 feet high. Below is some footage Dale took of ice breaking off.

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • Family Miniature Golf Tournament - The golf course was 9 holes on the top deck, open air. Quite windy as the boat was cookin' that afternoon. Linda won with a 27.


  • Art Auction- Karen and Tom attended but didn't buy anything


  • Love & Marriage Game Show - Dad wanted to go, Mom said she was only staying if they got on the show as contestants. Guess what- they got on!! This was hysterically funny as Dad is such a ham when the center of attention. One question was "What color bra is your wife wearing today?" Dad's answer : "Definitely white. I know because I helped put it on!" A ship employee came back to where mom was in a silenced room and asked "who's husband belongs to #2?" she just groaned because she knew it wasn't good! Below is the answer part to the question: "If you took your wife to a plastic surgeon, what part would you have touched up?" See below for the response:

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • The official cruise video sold by Royal Caribbean - our group is everywhere in it! I have a copy burned if anyone wants to watch!


  • The night show was really entertaining too - some juggler who was funny and extremely talented. Certainly ended the cruise on a high note

We also hit Anchorage for the day when we got back. Chuck, Kristi, Jim and I went to an outdoor market, had Starbucks, and did a little shopping. Then we had dinner (chips and salsa/cheese), played Euchre in the airport and headed home.


All in all I'd definitely cruise again, but not for like 5 years. I'd also go to Alaska again, but I suspect as it hasn't changed in the last few decades I can wait 20 years to go back again. The whole state feels like you're in another country! I'd definitely recommend any and everyone going, sans kids. I have a link to more pictures if anyone's interested- just let me know!

4 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing so much of your vacation. Looks like you had way too much fun! :-D

Finlands finest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Finlands finest said...

Dad Templin cracks me up!!!

Viki said...

I'd pay to have seen your parents doing the Love & Marriage game show.

Glad you had so much fun - makes me want to visit Alaska sometime. For cruising, however, I want to go some place tropical, with at least a day or two at sea so I can lay out on the sun deck!