Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Sugar Baby

Generally speaking, I eat healthy. I won’t say “very healthy” because I have a nearly uncontrollable sweet tooth. In college I had a 3 dessert a day policy. That policy worked my waistline up to a size 12 (for reference I'm 5”6’) and ultimately made me embarrassed to take my cover-up off for long periods of time when I was in Daytona with my skinny classmates (including Viki who went the opposite direction of me in the months leading up to the trip).

Work is terrible because we have an ENTIRE CABINET dedicated to candy and inevitably there are some of my favorite things stashed in there – Take 5s, Twizzlers, Smarties, Hershey’s Cherry Cordial Kisses, etc. I normally allow myself 2 pieces when I get back from lunch and try to limit my sugar intake to that while I'm at work. 2 pieces might sound like a lot but if you’ve bought miniature candy bars lately it’s really not too bad because they’ve shrunk those suckers down to practically less than 1 bite’s worth each.

Some times, when I get home from work, like last night, I’ll have a little bowl of ice cream on top of my two afternoon treats. I feel sort of guilty about doing that but chocolate chip is so good it is hard to resist!!

I gained 37lbs. in my 9 months carrying Nicole which is only 2 lbs. higher than “average”. I was a size 8 or 10 before I got pregnant and now, a year after, I'm a typically a size 6, sometimes an 8. I had no qualms about walking without a cover-up in front of my co-workers a month ago. I actually LOST 2 lbs. on the cruise.

My eating (in general) policy is that if I don’t like something I won’t eat it. I will not take on extra calories of something I don’t even enjoy consuming. Therefore, on the cruise where dessert options were plentiful but bland, I ate less sugar than I do in Ohio. I think that my weight is consistent because even though I have dessert every day I eat very healthy breakfasts every day, and normally eat healthy lunches/dinners to make up for the sugar.

This is where Jim would say “just think what would happen if you worked out a little”. Bleh.

10 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I have to agree with Jim--just think of what would happen if you belly danced a little. ;)

I have a sweet tooth too. Lucky for me, I work out a lot so I don't worry about having a little dessert every so often.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

I'm backing up Jim here as well ;).

Katharine said...

I'm right there with you on the uncontrollable sweet tooth!

LisaMarie said...

I used to have a sweet tooth...and then I got pregnant. Now nothing sweet tastes good. Salty, yes. Sweet, no. So far I haven't gained any weight and I have about 4 1/2 months to go. I asked the Dr if I should be concerned and he said no. Because I'm already a larger woman, his words not mine, he wouldn't be worried if I didn't gain at all. I thought it was bizarre.

Oh, and my eating policy is- if I like it, I eat it. Which isn't very good for my waistline is it?

Viki said...

I have a "small frosty + dark chocolate a day" policy, but NEVER eat these things before 9:30 or 10pm, depending on how late I go to bed. I have a horrible sweet tooth, and if I absolutely must have something sweet earlier in the day, there are a few brands of sugar free candy I love.

I also love fresh produce (granny smith apples are a staple) and working out. This keeps me able to eat a lot and skinny (now that I'm doing more running I'm getting back toward a size 2)...AND, TO SIDE WITH JIM, MY HEALTHY HABITS NOW WILL ENSURE THAT I CONTINUE THEM LATER INTO LIFE.

Martha said...

I have a horrible sweet tooth. AND I love to bake.
I figure working out means I can eat more of the stuff I really want (although when I work out I typically want more veggies and fruits immediately after).

Finlands finest said...

I think you might be the first person to ever go on a cruise and lose weight...

Laura said...

I try to eat one dessert a day....more or less. I just try to gauge what I eat...if I have a healthy breakfast and lunch I go crazy for dinner. Or eat pie for breakfast, but then no desserts or junk the rest of the day. I think it's just about being balanced. Since I've eaten that way I've been the same weight (except when pregnant) for 6 years now.

Katrin said...

A size six is just fine. I wish I could hold such a weight with that much sugar intake... Oh well, I'll handle it.

TreyJ said...

Jim is right, and I hear that line from time to time, too...but I'm on your side.