Thursday, August 28, 2008

What's Up

I started teaching on Tuesday - another full class of 30. It went pretty well except I misread the clock (thought it said 8:30 when really it only said 7:30) so I moved through my teaching quicker than normal and skipped an activity I really wanted to do because we were short on time. Turns out I planned right and we had plenty of time to do it. It was too late to call them back though and probably not a good impression on the first night. Ah well, now they have homework.

Jim and Nicole were at home that night and he actually got a few snaps of her which was great! Below is a shot of her preparing to give a real kiss (versus just putting your mouth on someone's cheek and making the sound). She hasn't grasped that you don't need to suction quite so hard before the "release".

  • I have 2 problems with my outfit today. 1) I broke out a pair of my new $12 ON jeans and one leg is cut a little smaller in the thigh than the other. It’s not a huge difference but noticeable enough on a full-time basis when I sit or walk. 2) I do not understand side zippers on shirts. I get back zippers that totally open at the neck thus making the shirt/dress/whatever much looser to initially put on, but this zipper connects at the top and bottom so at no point is it really open. Most of the time I don’t even bother unzipping it at all because I don’t think they actually provide any functionality.
  • I read People faithfully every week and feel that it keeps me relatively “in tune” with the "real" world. However, though I know of and have opinions about Amy Winehouse and the Jonas Brothers I’ve never actually heard a note of their music, which is of course what their careers are in. Today a radio station was giving away Cheetah Girls concert tickets. Who in the hell are they!?
  • Lastly, Nicole can say a handful of words, one of which is shoe. It actually comes out more like “choo”, but she’s always holding or moving towards a shoe when she says it so I get it. I broke out slippers yesterday for the first time in a long time and she was very interested in touching them because they were fuzzy. I let her try them on and from there out she was quite content to walk around in her new “choos”.

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

The kiss face is soo cute!

Is Nicole going to start playing dress-up soon. She is so funny trying to walk in your "choos".

Martha said...

Ah, a girl with fashion sense and shoe fettish. Perhaps "Choo" isn't a cute mispronounciation of "shoe", but rather short for "jimmy choo". ;)
Side zippers help some clothes get on, if the top/dress is pretty fitted. They're already wider at the bust, but may need a little extra room at the waist when taking them off or on.
On what planet is "people" keeping you in tune with the REAL world?!?? That's more fantasy world.
I bet your students LOVED that you let them out early!! :) Extra points to you for that! (they may not realize that it was a mistake, but I'm sure they appreciated it)

Mamma Sarah said...

Don't you love how kids love to explore everything? I thought it was great that when she lost her choo the first time she went back to put it on, but gave up when it happened again. :-D Too cute!

Viki said...

I agree with Martha - I don't read People, and I think I feel more in-tune with the real world as a result.

Love the video...I think it's funny that she was so intent and watched the shoes for a little while, and then must've decided it was too hard to deal with. :-)

Anonymous said...

The video put a big smile on my face! Ryann likes to wear flip flops but she puts them on backwards :-)

Anonymous said...

i love the moment when she thinks, "eh, one'll do." i love this kid.

Laura said...

What? She can kiss, talk, and put on her own shoes??? I think she's ready for kindergarten!

The Cheetah Girls are a group on Disney channel for young girls...they sing about girl power.