Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Neighbors!

Spring has clearly sprung. People are coming out of hibernation and yesterday was a day of neighbors.

We’re strongly considering putting an offer in to buy the lot behind us. Trying to find out the skinny on its status, I visited the model home yesterday and talked to the sales rep (not the same person who sold us our house). In the office were 2 neighbors (married) who just bought a house up on the hill and were planning things out. While I talked to Rosalind, another new neighbor, who will live right across the street from us on the corner, came in. She was wearing scrubs and was in a hurry- they apparently have children as she mentioned that “the boys” were waiting in the car.

Let me make a side note here that Jim and I are really happy with the diversity in our neighborhood. Both of the sets of neighbors I’ve mentioned so far are black and the people who are building next door are as well. The family who bought the model house are Chinese. Since both Jim and I grew up in all-white communities, we’re really happy that Nicole will get to be around a lot of different (yet still all upper-middle class, but it’s hard to diversify that in a neighborhood) people/backgrounds.

Mid-conversation with the sales rep, a woman walked in to turn in her paperwork to buy a house, leaving only 5 available lots in the neighborhood in Phase 1 (of 30 total)!! Of all things they’re building an Avalon (same model as ours) just down the road. When I introduced myself as the Avalon across the street she knew just who I was and admitted that her husband has read my blog! I invited them over to check out our (very) lived-in house and to give some suggestions regarding things we’d change with hindsight. They too have two boys – 9 and 13. They’ll like the neighborhood – there is a family with 4 kids, two of which are the same age, down the road in the opposite direction from us, and another 9 year old girl further on Red Hawk.

After we bid them farewell and had dinner, I went out to meet Jim and our favorite neighbors (that we haven’t seen all winter!), Rob and Shirley, on the corner. We caught up a bit with them before it got dark.

Jim also found out that there is a baby boy, 1 week older than Nic, who is moving in on Red Hawk by September. Hooray for potential new friends! Maybe she’ll marry him!

I feel like Lisa with my neighbors!!!

Now knowing that the entire length of Red Hawk (the street our house faces) is sold, I went out and took pictures of what is now a lonely road with just 2 houses dotting it. By September it’ll be full with 8 more on every lot available. WOW!

8 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like you will have a happening and fun neighborhood!

Viki said...

Hooray for fun new neighbors! I'm still hoping that you can get that lot behind your house, too...maybe if you just hold out a little longer...

Anonymous said...

I would purchase the Lot. It will never be any cheaper than it is now, and you will maintain some extra privacy behind you. I believe that when you can hear the toilet flush from the neighbor's house, you are too close! I guess that could happen if someone builds next to you. I also believe it will make your property more valuble than your neighbors with the same square footage as yours, once the builders are finished and leave the developement. It would also give you the option of building some little guest house in the future for friends to stay when they visit from out of town. Believe it or not, your house will fill up real fast in the next year or so and you will start running out of space. Hard to imagine at this time, but it will happen. Just an idea. Good Luck

Martha said...

wahoo for neighbors and (I'm assuming) great weather to mill about!
:) Sounds like fun, actually.

Katrin said...

"Maybe she'll marry him!"

How sweet... although not very realistic. :)

Mamma Sarah said...

Hooray for a neighborhood that's filling up. Sounds like you'll be having some rocking block parties in the future.

LisaMarie said...

But are you having FANTASIES? That's what I call mine now... *grin*

Laura said...

I say purchase the lot too. Our neighbors are about 10 feet away on either side and we can hear into their houses...but even if you decide you don't want it in the future you can sell it as a lot in a well established neighborhood for a lot more than what you paid.