Friday, April 25, 2008

Freaky Friday

There are a lot of things in life that I choose not to think about. Some because it upsets me (like how many children are abused around the world) and some just because I feel like my having an opinion isn’t relevant as there isn’t enough evidence to support it (an opinion) one way or another and I could easily argue either side.

One such topic is whether or not there are aliens. I'm sure the space exploration fanatics out there will argue with me, but I really could care less if there are or if there aren’t. I'm pretty happy with life as it is. If there are aliens out there they aren’t impacting me right now. If aliens happen to enter into my life (either my life specifically or just my planet in general) there’s
1) no way I could foresee this
2) I have no concept of how they’d impact me therefore I could not proactively prepare for it, and
3) when/if they impact me so many other things would change I’ll deal with it then.

All this being said, I have a suspicion that there are aliens. There’s a quote from the movie Contact (an A movie by the way) that sums up my opinion on the matter: “ The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?”

And, as previously mentioned, since I don’t think about it very much, this is all I have to say on the matter. : )

8 comments:

Viki said...

I, too, agree that there must be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. It doesn't make sense to me otherwise. I also could care less about said intelligent life, but I think it would be potentially fun to meet it/them someday. :-)

Laura said...

Aliens are on my list of irrational fears (along with sharks and airplane crashes). I thought I had been abducted by aliens when I was a teenager...I had these funny circle imprints on my legs after waking up. I was sure it was from aliens and I was so freaked out...then after a few weeks I realized it was from leaning against my bathroom cabinet to look in the mirror to put my new contacts in. Duh.
I do think that God made humans in his image, and he may very well have made other planets with other life forms as well (although humans keep him pretty busy). And some humans are pretty creepy and do terrible things, so in turn aliens have the potential to be pretty creepy too. So I'll keep hanging onto my irrational fear.

LisaMarie said...

I believe there has to be other life out there too. We just watched ET at school last week to finalize our Sci Fi Unit and I always imagine aliens to look like that. Cute. Friendly. Intelligent. Hopefully they're not slobs like some humans are. :)

Finlands finest said...

I agree with the comment from the movie--if we are it--what a waste of space. I also believe in Occum's (sp?) Razor--the simplest explanation is the correct one. What are the chances that life developed solely on earth?? I could go into a whole speel on this. :)

Katharine said...

I agree with you...about aliens and also about the quote from contact...which I really like even though i really don't believe in aliens. I also don't believe in ghosts/spirits/whatever.

Martha said...

I agree with you.I mean, sorta. I don't believe in Aliens, but on the other hand, just because I've never met them doesn't mean they don't exist. Perhaps they do. However I don't fear little green men are going to come probing and such...I just don't think about it much. I'm okay with them being out here. Shoot, even coming here, so long as they don't bother me! :)

Anonymous said...

Now I'm more afraid of Lions wanting to kiss me.

Dave

TreyJ said...

Lisa, I'm sure some aliens burp, fart, scratch themselves and live in squalor like some people do. :)

I'm pretty netral on the subject, but I'd be pretty stoked to learn for sure if there really is other life out there. I mean, how cool would it be to come in contact with people (in the very generic sense) that we know absolutely nothing about?