Monday, April 21, 2008

Cheese, Exploring, and Doug

Nicole loves string cheese. Why eat broccoli when there’s more cheese on the tray?


-----------------
I took Nicole for a walk after dinner up to the edge of the sidewalk (ala Shel Silverstein). Really we walked to the end of the current road and then beyond where they’re clearing for the second phase of our neighborhood. WOW. First, there is a lot more land than I thought there was in general. Second, there are some terrific lots coming up. They’re a good size, flat, and have an amazing view over the whole neighborhood. I wish I had my camera with me.

There are 9 houses in right now and by the end of the third phase there’ll be about 83. I see now where they’re going to put them- there’s tons of space!

It makes me almost wish we had waited until this summer to move to be up on the top of the hill.

----------------
Jim’s stepfather is doing very poorly. He fell asleep at the wheel 3X in the mountains and if Vickie wasn’t there to grab the wheel they’d have driven off the road. Why is he sleeping at the wheel? Because the blood clots that have infected his foot have made his toes so painful he can’t sleep more than an hour. He has a multitude of other issues and as a result has given in that driving a multi-ton vehicle is no longer in his or the general public’s best interest.

As of this evening, he’s officially, forcibly retired.

They're moving back to Ohio, getting a new home, and taking up stationary life. He’s got a splattering of doctor’s appointments- for the blood clot, second hernia, to have at least one toe amputated, etc. After this is done, Vickie is off to look for a job for the first time in over six years. While I don’t think either is happy about the situation the bigger concern is his rapidly deteriorating health. Send good thoughts his way if you get a moment.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I love watching Nic slurp up the cheese like its noodles!

Sending prayers for Jim's stepdad...

Finlands finest said...

I think Nic is funny--but I too may have eaten the cheese first!

I will keep Jim's parents in my prayers!

Mamma Sarah said...

Niki is so cute!

Sorry to hear about Jim's stepdad. Hopefully he will feel better soon once the docs get his all fixed up.

LisaMarie said...

Just like her mother.....makes me want some string cheese.

I can't even imagine how hard it must be to change your life so completely like Jim's parents are doing. I'll be thinking about them....and you...if they move back in for a while. :)

Martha said...

Doug and Vickie are certainly in my prayers. Hopefully retirement will get him back to health. :)

that video is cute! Eat your broccoli, girl!! It's good for you.

I think it's great that you are one of the originals before the next phases that moved in. You'll get to be the know-it-alls in the neighborhood. :)

Viki said...

I'm sorry Doug isn't doing well - to where are they moving? All the best to them as they make this huge transition, too.