Monday, April 21, 2008

C & B + 3

On Saturday we attended a 30th birthday party (one of many this year!) for a friend of ours in Loveland. More exciting than celebrating Chris’s birthday was talking to his wife Brandy about the TRIPLETS they’re expecting. Yes, you read that right.

When I got pregnant Jim and I both thought twins would be pretty cool. One shot and done seemed like an efficient approach to having children. Now that we have one, the concept of two at one time seems overwhelming. Of course you’d make it work, what choice do you really have… Two opportunities to get up through the night. Two opportunities of crying uncontrollably for no apparent reason. Two opportunities of “s/he did it”.

To a degree I think we could handle it better now, after having practiced with one. All the multiples I know are last children in their families, not the oldest. I'm sure there’s a very good reason for this. ; )

3 on the other hand… and with no previous experience… WOW.

Interested in other multiples? I’ve only seen about an hour of the show and that was plenty to scare me- Jon & Kate Plus 8.

9 comments:

Martha said...

Wait....Chris and Brandi in Loveland expecting TRIPLETS?

I have a haunch I know who you're talking about.

Oh my f*ck watch out world. When is she due?? I don't have contact for her anymore. In a short time we both changed jobs and I lost my cell phone and changed my number with my new phone (security reasons because my phone number was linked to credit cards and stuff - also lost with the phone)

Martha said...

Ok, my first message was shock.

Congrats to them, and I must admit, I'm slightly envious!!

When I have kids I soooo want multiples. Every time I hear of others having them, I think that lowers the odds for ME to have them (i.e. 1 out of 100 have twins. doh! what if that was the one?!??)

Katharine said...

I want triplets too! As for why they're usually last...there is a good reason: the older the mother gets...the higher the chances of multiples (particularly in the late 30s)...and at that age, the more likely she'll enter menapause or have miscarriages. (i know it wasn't my mother's decision to stop with us...in fact, she often said she would have loved to follow up the twin girls with twin boys) I don't think it has to do with the twins causing trauma. i know a couple who had a singleton, then QUADRUPLETS, and are now expecting again.

Finlands finest said...

I keep teasing my sister about her having triplets. I think it is wonderful. Although admittedly for me, I would like to stop at two at a time. ;)

Martha said...

oh yea. (I'm dominating your comments this morning.) Multiples are fabulous! Just great. Amazing. And I should know. I'm an "expert". ;)
Besides, you can't get any cuter than twins/multiples. Seriously! Imagine how cute it'd be if you had TWO Nicoles...

Finlands finest said...

How is thin little Brandy going to carry 3 babies for nine months?!?!?!

Martha said...

Jen - you know her, too? I wonder the same thing. Although, being triplets ANYWAY they probably won't be carried to term. Even for twins it was not expected for our mom to go to full term (and our poor mom had two 7+ lbs babies in her....)

LisaMarie said...

With all of the drugs out there too, multiples are higher than before. The drugs I take put me at risk for multiples. Up to quintuplets actually. Most doctors won't let you do a cycle that produces more than 5 eggs. But can you imagine 5 babies at once??? OMG!

Mamma Sarah said...

I know with the twin possibilities on my side it scared me this time around that there was that possibility... but 3! Wow! Congrats to your friends and very exciting for them. Hopefully everything will progress in a positive way!