Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sick baby? Thankfully not!

yesterday was an exciting day with Nicole but in the worried mom way...

At this stage in the game where I'm so new to everything I don't want to overreact but I also don't want to get into the "I can handle it all" mindset either and ignore potential problems.

bottom-line - yesterday Nicole was very fussy all night (regular) and finally went to bed around 4am. She didn't want to wake up for her 7:00 feeding, however, so I let her skip it and sleep thinking that she had a rough night early on and might appreciate the extra rest (I did too!). However, when she didn't want to wake up, despite hours of my attempted coaxing, until noon, which meant she hadn't eaten a full meal since 11pm the night before, I got worried and called the pediatrician.

Fortunately they shared my concerns and got me in within a short period of time. The doctor was great and spent about 25 minutes with us checking a variety of things. Ultimately to be safe he sent us to Children's outpatient for blood wok and a urinalysis. Both, thankfully, came back normal last night.

SPECIAL THANKS to my mom who came and brought me lunch and helped calm my nerves during the process!!

She has an appointment this afternoon at 3, but has been doing really well so far today on her 3 hour eat/wake/nap schedule so I'm not expecting any negative feedback.

again, thanks for the concern and the well-wishes - VERY much appreciated!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

karen,

last night my husband came home from softball (or so he says) and told me that he met another woman. she has dark hair (i don't) and chubby cheeks (not me either), and he's in love with her. as a VERY newlywed, i don't really know how to handle this. do you know anything about this? any advice?

sincerely,
rachel

Viki said...

I would be terrified if my baby didnt want to wake up - I'm glad everything's Ok!

Finlands finest said...

Look at that BEAUTIFUL girl! So glad to hear that she's okay and all the tests came back normal. Maybe she was really just exhausted. Hope things are smooth sailing from now on.

Megs said...

I'm very happy to hear that everything came back okay. I think you were very good about how you handled it. I would be cautious too and probably freaking out in your case as well!!

Gtemp said...

Glad my little woman is doing good. I think she just needs a little more time spent with her favorite uncle...

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to know that she's ok. New mom's never over-react! :-)

Karen said...

i was so touched "the boys" of F&HC were so excited to meet Nicole. Sorry that the new woman attending the games has caused some stir, Rachel... Perhaps when you meet her you'll see where he's coming from? ha! :)

Anonymous said...

oooh, so Rachel will have to tell Dave that SHE met another woman that she may love. ;) That'll make it fair.
I hope all is well with you and Nicole and the tests come back good and such. Quite scary.
When Kathy and I visited my oldest nephew one spring he apparently slept for 24-36 hours after we left, pretty much straight (he was older than Nikki, but still young - 5 months at the time). He just had so much fun with us. :)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that all was well with Nicky after all. She's a cutey!