Tuesday, July 24, 2007

2 weeks old tomorrow!


Yeah, as the only thing in my life is Nicole right now, I imagine my postings will be pretty boring to those who don’t want to read about motherhood. No hurt feelings to those who quit visiting for a while!

Things are starting to come together at this house. Nicole’s cord fell off a week ago (Sunday, 2am) and she’s had a few sponge baths since then. Poor child has dry skin and is peeling between her fingers and on her feet. This is only a problem because she has a mother with a personality trait (flaw?) for enjoying peeling dry skin (love summer sunburns!) and it’s all I can do to not pick at her. Doctor says no lotion until she’s a month old as there’s conflicting research on what lotion does to baby’s new pores. So, a little dry, but cute she remains.

Jim’s boss lent us a book on scheduling called “On Becoming Babywise” which I’m reading during feedings and at night, sometimes out loud to Nicole which I doubt she finds interesting. The premise is that babies need routine and that routine should be a 3-hour cycle of eating/wake time/napping during the day and eating/sleeping at night. The goal is to get them to sleep through the night by 8 weeks. We can extend our nighttime feedings to every 5 hours instead of every 3 once she gets back to her birth weight. We’ll know how soon that’ll be on Thursday’s appointment at the pediatrician.

She’s feeding faster than she did before which means she’s going down for longer naps as her 3-hour period isn’t consumed with an hour of eating. This is great for her and should be for me if I was smart enough to sleep when she does… it’s just very odd for me to take a nap in the middle of the day so I find myself checking email, cleaning, etc.

Yesterday we ventured out for 5 hours – ran errands, lunched with Mom, visited the new house. I felt very confident with my planning on getting her out though I was tired by the end of the day with all the activity and literal heavy lifting of putting her in and out of the car so much. Today we took it easy- had a visit with Ruth H (Jim’s boss’s wife) and are waiting on the arrival of a person who’s coming to see the house.

8 comments:

Katrin said...

Good luck on keeping from picking the dry skin.
A fellow skin picker.

P.S.: SOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!

Finlands finest said...

Nicole is looking adorable! Is her hair starting to come in red? It looks like that in the pic.

I am impressed you are so comfortable taking Nicole out. I saw you both in the pics from Ryann's baptism and now she's going all over town,lunch with Grandma and even visiting the new house :)

Anonymous said...

i, for one, LOVE reading about new motherhood!

Viki said...

Regardless of whether or not Nicole finds your reading interesting, I'm sure it's very good for her to hear your voice and be read to, even as young as she is. Plus, the extra stimulation of the vibrations from your body while speaking have to be good for her as well.

(if you ever want me to shut up and not give you my opinion as I do not have children myself, feel free...)

Anonymous said...

How very adorable. I want to meet her and see how you're doing, too!

You'd be golden in my family. Married and popping out babies. Apparently I'm somewhat of a disappointment in my family for not doing either.

Mamma Sarah said...

Sounds like you are enjoying being a mom! That's fantastic. Glad to hear that venturing out of the house is also going so well. It's like lugging everything but the kitchen sink sometimes, but it's worth it. :-D

Eva said...

I read to Viki all the time when she was an infant, and see how smart and intelligent she turned out!

Viki's Mom

Karen said...

Mart, perhaps you can make up for it by having TWINS? :) I'm sure you're nothing short of a miracle to this day for your parents, single and kid-free as you are!