Thursday, July 05, 2007

The New Digs

There’s been some house progress in the last two days. My parents went out on Friday of last week and they had the “ceiling” on the basement in. When we stopped by on Tuesday night this is what we found!!

Front view (garage jutting out on the left, next set of windows are the dining room, then the front door in the middle, and living room on the right corner)

"Welcome Home!"

Standing in the great room, the solid plywood marks the fireplace and on either side and above are windows! Kitchen is the room just visable on the far left side of the picture.


This picture was taken standing in the greatroom and looking up into one of the guest rooms. Underneath this bedroom is the office.

Not that I expected anyone to be critical, but it was nice to hear positive feedback when we took friends over Wednesday afternoon to see the house. I think now that the framing is up it’s easier to visualize what we’ve gotten ourselves into- debt!

In regards to our current house, I put a FSBO sign at the end of our street yesterday morning and we got a call and request for tour from a single guy my parents’ age which we were happy to accommodate. He seemed very interested in the house and asked a lot of structural questions that I was glad Jim was around to answer. He asked us for our bottom-line price (to be determined) and said to give him a call this week. Jim’s skeptical because he seemed so happy with things right away, but I'm not going to look at any enthusiasm at this point as a bad thing.

We’re averaging about 2 hits/week on the Fairfield house so far and I hope it continues. Chuck and Dale both commented that they think $150K is fair for our house and are surprised we’re willing to negotiate anything below that. Very flattering!


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice to be able to see it all coming together. :) Where's Nicole's room? And her siblings rooms?

150K? The cost of living is comparable between Portland and Cincy (supposedly PDX is 3% higher). I haven't HEARD of anything under 300K. I'm thinking 150K may get me a cardboard box in the shanty-town next to the airport.

Karen said...

Nicole's room will be the one above the dining room. Master bedroom is above the kitchen/garage.

Jessica said...

Wow, they are making really quick progress! Looks great.

Megs said...

Great progress so far! I'm waiting for you to take me over there so I can walk through it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching houses built from the ground up. I could seriously go in and help them for free I love it that much!! God, I'm such a dork!

Finlands finest said...

The house is looking great!

I haven't looked into real estate a lot here, but if Dale and Dave have, thats great advice, go for 150K!!

Martha, for me from Chicago to Cincinnati--the irony is that my townhouse in Chicago cost about the same as the house Tom owns bought brand new. My townhouse-2 bed, 1.5 bath, 1 car garage, Tom's house-3 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, basement, and just plain bigger in general!

Viki said...

Glad to see things are going up so quickly! Sorry I can't help on the price of your old one, but I'd go with Dave and Dale...150K minimum unless someone you're related to buys it...

Katrin said...

Wow, houses are built quickly in America! This only took such a short time... Martin's parents moved into a new house a few years ago and I remember it took them at least half a year to get this far! Looks great!

Sarah said...

Progress on the house looks great! I can't wait to see it in real life!! In comparison to the East coast real estate prices your house is a steal! In MD you can't get a 2 bedroom townhouse for less than 350k.

Dale said...

No baby?

Dave said...

Do you bake brownies for the workers to keep them moving and happy?

TreyJ said...

It is very fun to see the progress on your house! I bet that's more exciting than a hole in the ground.

Gtemp said...

Where is Greg's room?

Karen said...

oh so greg doesn't want our old house but is holding out for a room in the new, eh?? ;)

You can have the guest room in the last picture. Note that part of your rent includes taking a turn getting up with the baby at 3am!

Finlands finest said...

I don't see Greg in bed before 3 am (you know how those young people are :) so taking care of Nicole then shouldn't be a problem!!

Gtemp said...

Lol oh so true about the 3am comment! I just don't change diappers... Feeding and holding and rocking etc are fine.

About the room, do I get walls to go along with the guest room?? Everyone can see me b/w the support beams! I'm cool with it but I might make your neighbors blush a little...