Sunday, December 31, 2006

13 Weeks and Other Weekend News

How your baby's growing: Your belly may soon be big enough to announce to the world that you're expecting, but your baby is still tiny. In fact, he's only about 3 inches long crown to rump — roughly the size of a jumbo shrimp — and weighs just about an ounce. Despite the small proportions, there's a fully formed baby inside your womb now. Much more proportional than it was a few weeks ago, his head is now only about a third the size of his body. His tiny, unique fingerprints are already in place. His kidneys and urinary tract are functional, and he's starting to urinate out the amniotic fluid he's been swallowing. As you start your second trimester, most of your baby's critical development will be completed, and your odds of miscarriage will drop considerably.

My Take: Good news- Jim says I’m not crazy. Apparently it’s a common side effect that pregnant women behave like they’re PMSing (illogical thinking, large mood swings, easily agitated, etc.) while pregnant. People keep saying “just wait” but I’m proud that Jim’s defending my sanity… so far.

Bad news- being pregnant has made my complexion break out just like when I was 13.

Other news- we had a super-cool last few days. On Thursday we celebrated G-Scott’s birthday (22) at my aunt’s and I won the Euchre tourney we had.

On Friday we had a bunch of folks over (Kathy, Martha, Dave, Rachel & Dale) who delighted us by getting along so well- they didn’t leave until 2:30am! We had a great time playing games and talking. Martha brought me this awesome tie-dye onsie and these amazing chocolates. Great time in general.

Last night we went to Benihana’s and played games (Sequence and a new dice game they taught us) with the Erdahl’s. They were very patient as I talked about the model house we went to see that afternoon extensively. Another great night!

I don’t want to go back to work! Being on vacation and sleeping until 10:30am each morning is wonderful!

10 comments:

Viki said...

I like the jumbo shrimp visual. :-)

Glad things are going well, except for your skin. I've always thought that pregnant ladies are supposed to glow, though, so I'm sure it will be better for you. Is Jim defending your sanity because you haven't been moody, or because you have and that's normal? Either way, you are carrying his child, so there's no harm in milking it a little. :-)

I think you should post a picture of Martha's chocolate...my guess is it's homemade? Yum!

Megs said...

I agree with Viki. I just keep thinking about this little cut out of a jumbo shrimp taped to your belly... quite odd!

Super happy that you won the Euchre tournament! I won last year so I'm glad to pass the torch onto you! Serve us well!

I'm sure your "breaking out" isn't nearly as bad as you say. I'm sure with all my stress lately, my face will put yours to shame... no one will even notice you! HA sucks how I'm comparing our faces like that... ewww... Happy New Year girl!

Megs said...

I just realized... some things you just shouldn't say after you've had some beers!

Martha said...

*jumbo shrimp* hahaha. what an oxymoron! I was really liking the fruit analogies...and now they have to move to SHRIMP? That's hilarious.
Glad you had a great several days!!

TreyJ said...

I like Japanese restaurants!

LisaMarie said...

We enjoyed talking about your house choices. It makes me want to get a new house even sooner! I like looking at plans and putting things together. Anytime you want talk about your floor plan, I'm still game. =)

And I didn't even notice your face breakout. I just kept looking for your baby bump...which isn't big enough damn it! How are we supposed to get rockstar parking without it?!?!

Anonymous said...

So sorry that we kept you guys up so late! Fill us in on the house!

Martha said...

Your baby's starting to pee!!
Did you ever doubt your friends would get along....until 2:30 AM..?
I didn't notice any breakouts, either.

When are you moving? Where? Oregon is fabulous, if you want to move out here. :D

Katharine said...

I enjoyed game night...it was quite fun (especially the company and "catch-phrase")...thanks for having us over!

Mamma Sarah said...

Alright... Baby Pee! :-P

Hey, you skipped right over celebrating New Years. :-(

Breakouts suck! Sorry, I didn't notice. I have a solution for you though that you'll have to see if it works. :-)