Monday, December 01, 2008

Learning the hard way

Thanksgiving was good – we went to my aunt and uncle’s who had the house all done up for Christmas. Much of the partying was done in the basement where the TV and game room reside. And, where the “kid” Christmas tree is (you know the one with the homemade ornaments). Nicole hadn’t seen a tree before and kept wanting to touch the ornaments which I did not want her to do. Here’s what went down:

First time she touched I told her “no, you don’t touch the tree”.

Second time she took an ornament off I hung it back on the tree, held her hand firmly at her side and repeated she was not to touch the tree.

Third time she went for it I smacked her hand, sat her in my lap and told her “No, Nicole, you are not to touch Christmas trees.”

The second she stood up that little girl touched and ornament again just to spite me. A more audible smack on her hand ensued this time and brought actual tears and a few sobs. My grandmother moaned that I “hurt her feelings”. She has to learn though. It only lasted a few minutes and ended with me hugging her and reassuring her that she’s loved. (awww.)


Since then I put our tree up. It’s like there’s an invisible force field around the base of it. Nic won’t get within 5’ of the thing.

They put their tree up at the sitters and were quite impressed she hasn’t gone for it. Clearly she can be taught! Even if it cost a few tears.

7 comments:

Viki said...

Hooray for you being a good parent and not trying to do something stupid like rationalize with your toddler about why she shouldn't be trying to play with the tree/ornaments. :-)

LisaMarie said...

Dude, you're my role model! I can't STAND the way my b-i-l and s-i-l discipline my niece! She doesn't learn anything!

Mamma Sarah said...

Hooray! This is something I'm not looking forward to this year with the terrible 2's. Hopefully Alex WILL listen and leave the tree alone, but again... hopefully.

Katrin said...

I think you are a good mom. :)

Finlands finest said...

I think she learned her lesson!!

Jenna said...

Yea for Nic!

linds said...

Hopefully Nicole doesn't do what Ryann does ... laugh when I spank or smack her hand! Drives me crazy!!!

I loved watching Nicole eat her dinner on Thanksgiving. She was too cute!!!