Monday, December 08, 2008

Weekend of 12/5/08

The weekend was a good one. Nicole did two particularly cute things I’d like to record. I'm finding that the cute things she does now fall more into a category of her being such a little person but [trying to] do big kid/grown up things.

1) My mother (and father) gave her St. Nick presents last week – an Elmo pop-up book and a Christmas calendar with one piece of chocolate hiding behind a pull tab for each day of December. She’s been giving me one of those calendars for as long as I remember. So, each day I’ve let Nicole have a little piece of candy. This is HUGE for her because she gets sweets like twice a month (we’re mean, I know) and before this calendar she didn’t even know what the word “candy” was. Anyway, it didn’t take long for her to catch on to what was happening. Friday (the 5th) I sat down with her in my lap with the board and we looked at the picture and searched for the flap that said 5 on it. Once we found it and she got her chocolate she happily ran away to suck on it. After dinner she drug me back to the counter where the calendar was and pointed, grunted, and danced. I explained to her that she already had a candy for the day and she “only gets one candy per day”. Her response, clear as a bell, “one more”.

2) Saturday night we had dinner at a Mexican joint where they bring you chips and salsa to munch on before your meal arrives. Nicole had a cup and was sitting in the booth next to me. I let her suck on a dry chip while Jim and I munched. We were talking so I didn’t pay attention that she was paying attention to us so I was startled when she suddenly stood up on the bench. She took her chip, leaned across the table and dipped it into the salsa bowl like we did. From there on, every bit she took got a dip before she ate it.


GOOD LUCK TO LISA AND KENDALL THIS MORNING! YOU’RE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS! See all the cute things you get to look forward to?!

3 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I love the Salsa story!! I'm kinda surprised she liked the salsa as kids don't typically like spicy things. I guess she is like her mom :) She sure is cute!

Martha said...

As much as I'm excited to see my family - parents and sisters at least - this Christmas, I am sooo excited to see the kiddos!!
Sooo cute. I can see my niece (age 2 years) doing just that with the chips and salsa, too.

What are you going to do come January when she's used to her daily chocolate?

Good luck Lisa (and Kendall, too! But today, Lisa's doing the harder part.)!!

Laura said...

You mean Nic can just sit in a booth with you and not run away, slip under the table, jump up and down, etc? Wow! Ella needs to be straped in and even then she is looking for ways to escape and run free.

Around here dipping is pretty fun too, so I've started giving her condiments like ketchup and ranch dressing...but man is it messy!