Monday, June 02, 2008

Weekend of 5/30/08

Friday: I had the most beautiful picture sent to me- it was black and white and Erdahl all over. That night I dropped Nicole off at my aunt’s while I went to the Reds baseball game (thank you, Cincinnati Bell for the box seats!) with my co-workers. Free food! + Free beer! + We won! = GREAT night!

Saturday: Jim and I started the process of becoming church people. As I have mentioned, we decided to make HPCUMC our new “home” and signed up for the official new member class. It went from 9-3 and I found it both interesting and educational. Jim and another member in our class were baptized in the morning (Jim has already been confirmed Methodist but somehow skipped over this first step), and we learned about the history of Methodism and HPCUMC specifically. There are over 100 groups to join and they are very eager for you to become an active member, not just an attending member, of the Church.

Following church class we went to go see the Saturn Outlook again and decided that due to the close cost of it and the Enclave we’re going the Buick route. (Note that my previous post said that the Saturn was significantly less, turns out that it was a lot less after a $5K down-payment that the salesguy factored in already. So, in reality, it’s only $1500 less, not $6500 less. IRRATATING). We aim to have this new purchase wrapped up this week!

I also went to IKEA for the first time – 3 hour trip. All the same general stuff/style, but I can see how it’d be ideal for apartment dwellers. It was WEIRD to look into their displays and think that everything I saw was for sale.

Sunday: I became an official Methodist! Not the original intention, but that’s okay. They gave us a book to read about the Methodist position on social issues and I started reading through a bit and in general I like what I see. Only thing so far that I didn’t care for was their position on homosexuality (I wish they were more open-minded), HOWEVER, this specific church (versus the religion) IS so that makes me happy. I'm going to read the whole pamphlet cover to cover and I'm eager to see what other things I'm encouraged to believe in. If you’re interested I’ll compile a short summary of the faith’s position on these (and more) issues.

8 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like an overall good weekend.

I would like to hear more on the faith's position on issues. I am always curious on what different churchs believe etc.

Did you like IKEA?

Martha said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Yea - what are the similarities and differences between Catholics and Methodists?

I agree with you about IKEA - it seems to be more of a first apartment/dorm type furniture. Alvin got a desk there. I got a lamp and a bedskirt. Oh, and these great small bowls - a pack of 6 for $2.50!! And they are PERFECT for portion controling ice cream! Their color choices for the bedskirt was disappointing - only 3 options: white, tan, black, and bright teal (I chose tan...)

Anonymous said...

So glad you have joined a church. I hope you can still come to our Christmas Concert. It looks as though the 13th of December will be the date this year. Many folks have asked us to move the Concert to Saturday evening instead of Sunday, because they are coming from other churches in the area, and have there own programs on Sunday like we did. So, I believe we will touch more people who wish to come and hear us sing placing the event on Saturday Evening the 13th. I am giving you the date now so you can make room for us if you still wish to come. Your my biggest fan.
God Bless

LisaMarie said...

Some of the stuff at IKEA is cool and some of it is cheap crap. You really have 5to be careful what you buy there. They seem to be inconsistent in the materials that they make their stuff out of. I'm sure this is true for many furniture stores. I make sure any time I buy something I ask and look to see if it's real wood or just laminate.

Our next door neighbors bought a nice kitchen table from IKEA. It was one of very few made of real wood. I agree that much of the stuff seems great for apartments...because much of it feels smaller.

I'm excited to see your new car! What color did you decide on?

Mamma Sarah said...

Hooray for finally making it to IKEA. :-)

Can't wait to see a pic of your new purchase. :-)

Martha said...

"black and white and erdahl all over" is quite an adorable statement. :) And an adorable *occurance*. :) :)

Martha said...

wow...re-reading my first comment I realized I can't count. I'm sorry, they had FOUR options for bed skirts: white, tan, black, funky ass bright teal....

Viki said...

I would be interested to learn more about Methodistism...it's interesting that there's such variation among religions, too. The one Catholic church I sing in has recently started the service with an annoucement that basically says they welcome everyone regardless of their backround, their present status, etc. The other church I sing at regularly makes the announcement that only baptized Catholics are allowed to receive communion...they said that once right before communion started, and then the hymn was "All are welcome." Whatever.