Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Another model in the running...

So the Enclave was all but bought. Literally we were going to pick up the phone and tell them to order one for us, until I looked around a parking lot and saw lots of other cars and thought “all these people got here safely and didn’t spend $37,000”.

And so began our search for a used car.

Strangely it didn’t take too much convincing Jim even though I’d agreed to the Buick and it’s his car. My key logic in getting a used car this time around is mainly that we don’t need the space or the luxury that the Enclave provides right now. For the next 6 years we’ll have at least one kid in a car seat who can’t physically (or legally) use the space a full-sized SUV would provide.

Our new goal is to find something that is still an SUV but has less than 10,000 miles on it (basically we want a newer car (2007+) where the depreciation adjustment is already built into the price). We went to the Toyota dealership first and since they didn’t have anything that met our specs we agreed to look at a RAV 4 that was new. $22,000 bought you cloth seats and 2 measly airbags. Not the safety we had in mind.

We next headed to Nissan where I bought the Sentra we’re replacing and we met the Murano. They had a ’07 demo (there was no Murano in ’08) with under 5000 miles selling at $6500 below the invoice cost. We looked at it, an ’05, and checked out the ’09 for good measure. Jim seems to really like it and he’s going back to drive it tonight (it was in the showroom and we were short on time by this point) provided his softball game is cancelled.

We will see!!

2 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I like how you decided to save a little money now. Good idea!

Martha said...

Wow, good luck!
Both cars I have ever owned were used - and each was just months off the manufacturing floor - greatly reduced the prices, yet each still had "new car" smell and around 3000-5000 miles on my "used" cars.
I recommend it! It's the way I'll continue looking at cars in the future! Oh, and dealer showroom cars are fabulous - they give you all the bells and whistles for cheap! My Explorer was one and I go so many things (that I now have as requirements!) that I otherwise would not have been able to afford.
My audi was a loaner car - but it was manufactured in July and come fall loaner cars were to be the next year's models, so I lucked out, again.