Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tribute to Nora

I’ve mentioned before that the aspect I like best about reading other people’s blogs is that I get a glimpse into what others are doing with their lives when I’m not with them. I realized last night that this reason is also why Nora Roberts is my favorite author. Nothing spectacular happens in her books (which is probably why she has over 155 of them in a 20 year career), there’s no amazing, far-fetched plot that takes you to other galaxies or time periods, it’s just story-telling about people who I can relate to. In the book I’m currently reading, Chesapeake Blue, an artist falls for the woman who owns the floral shop. They court, he has family problems external to the relationship that carry over from the previous 3 books in the series, and she learns for the first time what it’s like to be on her own. I assume they’ll admit in the end that they’re in love with each other and get engaged (pretty typical). Her writing makes them very real and makes each time I pick up the book and read a chapter feel like I’m reading a friends blog about what they did that day. As a result, her novels swallow me. I look forward to reading each night, as I do my friends’ blogs each morning, and am disappointed as fewer and fewer pages are left in the book. That’s really the only problem – I get a brief, 250 page glimpse into these “friends” lives and then it’s over. Thank God she’s prone to writing series!

6 comments:

LisaMarie said...

Now aren't you glad our blogs don't stop like that? That's the nice thing about REAL people...we constantly have a story to tell....like Maggie puking under the bed this morning...now that's gripping material!

TreyJ said...

Gotta love pet puke! Sometimes our guys eat their food too fast and then puke it back up. Always a pleasant surprise.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Ha! I have a bulemic cat that does that all the time. She's usually nice about it and does it near the food bowl, but every once in a while she'll get somewhere and do it. It's always glorious to discover it dried somewhere like under the couch when you go to clean and weren't home when she puked.

Viki said...

Karen, the book you're on is a nice one - Trey's mom left it for me to read a while back. :-)

On the bulemic cat - try putting large stones in her food bowl. She might be eating too fast and putting large objects she can't swallow in the bowl will force her to slow down.

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot, though she's been this way for 10 years now. It's not all the time, just like once or twice a week or so.

It's also a nerve thing. When she gets spooked, or depressed, she does it.

In some ways, it's kinda funny.

Oh yeah, I should also mention that she weighs 28 pounds :)

Mamma Sarah said...

First, Nora is my favorite romantic type author. I use to eat up those books (and have tons) on a Saturday or weekend. I was always on edge when I had to wait for the next one to come out. :-(

Thanks for the rock suggestion. Butler (the black and white kitty) inhales his food so fast. We thought about switching him to dog food, but finally found a big bit kitty food. :-) Now he's not puking up his dinner anymore.