Thursday, April 27, 2006

Competing at BSG

Last night was our final night of formal meeting in our capstone class. We did our last year of our BSG simulation, results of which I have posted! I was really proud of my team’s performance, especially because our strategy was my idea and worked out fantastic!

Through the competition my team would joke about how long it would take for me to get frustrated about not being behind the proverbial wheel and start typing in the information into the program over the person currently doing it.

I was walking up to my car with Mindy last night and I sheepishly apologized for being a nazi team member and taking control quite a bit of the time. I told her I was sorry if she didn’t get as much out of it because I dictated a lot of our decisions and understand if she didn’t feel like she got as much of a learning experience out of it as she wanted. She laughed at me and told me that she learned the taste of success in our first simulation (where we got 2nd place out of 9 teams) and how crazy competitive I was, so she got really into it right along with me. This time around she said she learned not get in my way and everything would turn out okay, which it did. I think she was good-natured about it (not mad at me) as she was joking around, but I hope part of her wasn't really irratated.

I’m going to attempt to learn from this and try to back off a bit more on other similar projects in the future. I think I need to get my competitiveness in check or I might lose my mind and my grace with my teammates…. If I go too far in not being competitive I might be disowned as a Templin, a family known for being hyper-competitive. : )

5 comments:

Viki said...

Maybe get the competitive thing in check if you feel like you need to, but don't lose too much of it...how much of your success in school and at work could you contribute to it?

Also, think about teams for future work things - do you think others would rather be on a team with a more competitive leader, or be on a team that didn't do as well with a nice leader?

Mamma Sarah said...

Congrats on doing so well.

You putting your competitive nature in check is like giving up your favorite thing. I just can't see it... and would agree that you may possibly be disowned as a Templin. :-D

I agree with Viki about the future work teams. :-D Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

The fact Karen often gets beat at games (read Jeopardy, Euchre - like on the night we met, You Don't Know Jack, etc.) by her husband has given strides in taming her competitiveness.

Karen said...

So my husband and i are separating over irreconcilable differences. Anyone know any hot single guys that I can play (literal) games with?

LisaMarie said...

I would just like to say that I'm afraid to be Karen's partner in games. Because if we don't win...it hurts. HA! One time I was her Euchre partner...and she yelled at me when we lost! It was a long time ago, but I'll never forget it....*shudder of fear* HEHEHE.....