Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Big Decision Made

I’ve made a decision. After some good conversations with friends and family I’m going to spend some effort into preparing my resume and working to find an adjunct position at a local community college. I assume that my MBA, which will be complete by the time my information would go out, and my Ohio teaching certification in Language Arts will help me land a teaching post for 1 class a week this fall.

My goal is to dip my toe back in the water of teaching without changing careers totally or losing the flexibility of keeping my full time job. My hope is that an opportunity like this would let me see first hand if I have a passion for teaching or if it’s something that I won’t want to pursue at all. At just one class, 1 or 2 nights a week, I don’t expect to have to make any major changes to my schedule versus what I do now when I’m attending classes 2 nights a week and doing school work.

Jim seems pretty supportive of this idea so far. The good news is that there are several community colleges splattered across Cincinnati; just off one exit, 2 south from my office, there are 2 – University of Phoenix and Indiana Wesleyan. Karen C. seems to think that with my ability to teach both English and Business based classes I’ll be seen as a good asset for the college and therefore be able to find an opening more easily. I hope she’s right! I figure even if I don't land anywhere I haven't lost anything in trying and the benefit if I would way outweighs the time and effort spent.

Any teachers out there with advice on resume writing please send me a note!

8 comments:

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Yay for decisions! Feels good when you finally get one made.

That being said, don't let up yet on your questioning you've been doing recently. Keep thinking about things, keep challenging yourself.

Like we talked about yesterday, don't put those sunglasses back on just yet :).

Anonymous said...

Indiana Weslyn and University of Phoenix --- booo! Come to Cincinnati State and teach one of my business classes! I finished all my English classes so you're not allowed to teach those. Keep me updated with the decisions though. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yea, that's great! Hopefully you will find a true passion for your career choice, wether it is teaching or not.

LisaMarie said...

Good for you! I'm not sure what colleges look for. The standard education resume is two pages long. I know, it sounds weird, but it's true. I'll have to ask Jessica and Aaron. He's bheen applying for full time teaching jobs for when he finishes his PHD. I'll get back to you.

Mamma Sarah said...

WOW... I feel out of the loop. That's great to hear. Keep us all posted as I'm sure you will.

You might also want to look into Career Centers too... they have evening classes that you could do also... just a though.

Karen said...

Thanks, guys! Megan, especially, i liked your comments! :)

Viki said...

Coming from someone who did most of a degree with UoP because it was her only option at the time...I'd look more into it before I applied there if I were you. I had some really great profs, but the university's customer service is terrible, and the admit a lot of really stupid people. If you teach any of the courses people have to take early on, you'll get stuck with complete idiots in your class which will no doubt be frustrating for you, but will also be very frustrating for the Learning Teams those idiots are a part of.

TreyJ said...

Prof. Karen! Hee hee...good for you! Have fun exploring the world of higher education from the other side.