Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend of 3/27/09

Weekend was busy but very fun.

Friday: After work the Gardners came over for pizza and games. I won Scrabble and the first game of Shang Hai but lost the second. Good company, good times!

Saturday: Woke up earlier than I do for work to head out to West Chester for a big Mother’s Sale. Bought Nic and Chris each a bunch of clothes and Nicole a Fisher Price shopping cart (which was a big hit) for a grand total of $34.50. Realized again that I like two things too much – overalls on little boys and sun-dresses on little girls. Oh well, they’ll look the same every day….

After the sale I volunteered for two hours with Kids Against Hunger which I found immensely rewarding. I wouldn’t call it “fun” work but it wasn’t unpleasant or hard to do and at the end I felt like I really accomplished something.

That night Nicole and I visited my parents and Grandma who came for dinner and Jim and I started putting together Nicole’s big girl furniture. So far so good though we’re not done after about a 2.5 hour assembly investment.

Sunday: woke up too late for Church but enjoyed waffles and long baths/showers instead. Grocery shopped, bridal showered, made shrimp/pepper/asparagus stir-fry for dinner.

I'm feeling a fair bit of pressure in my “nether regions” but am not concerned enough to call the doctor before my Friday already-scheduled appointment.

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

SO has Nicole been shopping all over your house?!?! :)

What did you do for Kids against hunger?

Katharine said...

sweater vests are also super cute on little boys :)

please tell us more about kids against hunger.

Karen said...

In a nutshell, Kids Against Hunger was stared in MN several years ago and is part of a larger organization, A Child’s Hope International (http://www.achildshopeintl.org). All KAH does is assemble food bags for hungry people domestically (ie Appalachia) and abroad. Great news: because the mixture of protein/soy/veggies/rice is assembled by volunteers in 42 different chapters (Cincy is one, Dayton has a group, etc.) and shipping is often provided at little/no cost by groups like the US Navy, Red Cross, etc. the cost per serving is only $.25. In the two hours I spent assembling we produced over 14,700 meals for kids in Swaziland. One person’s 2 hour donation is the equivalent of feeding a child for an entire year.

What did I do? I worked at the head of the line; first holding bags under a funnel while the contents were added and then at the mid-way point I switched to filling the bags with rice. I stood and talked with co-workers and their spouses about life in general – very casual. After the ingredients were added to the bags they were weighed, then heat sealed and packed.

I’d like to go back – maybe commit to a once/month gig. There were several groups there like girl scout troops – probably about 1/3 of the workers were kids and the other 2/3 were parents or general volunteers like me.

Viki said...

Good for you for volunteering. :-)

Jen Ortiz said...

That sounds neat! Keep me posted on when you might go next, I'd like to join you if I can.

LisaMarie said...

That sounds like a pretty good volunteer gig. Too bad we don't live closer, then I could go with you! :( I think you should move to Troy.