Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend of 2/8/08

Friday: Jim was sick and off of work all week so we canceled plans with the Childers so that no one would catch any lingering traces of his flu. This lead to a 7:45 bedtime for one tired, no-nap-taking baby and a 8:20 bedtime for her tired mother.

Saturday: Jim worked on the Kay Dr. house getting the final touches (fire-proof door in garage) finished for the closing on Thursday. I took Nicole shopping where I bought two pairs of pants for me and her a pair of pants ($2.50 at Children’s Place on clearance!). I was mostly satisfied with my purchases- not thrilled because I have to hem one pair and when I tried the other on this morning they were too big. I'm afraid to return them because they will probably fit when I gain some weight back post-nursing. UGH. This means I still have only two pair of pants that fit me really well and it’s too *@(! cold to wear skirts.

We did gussy up for Kelly and Teddy’s vow renewal ceremony (10 years) that evening. They looked so happy and it was nice chance for us girls to catch up. Even Rina came!

Sunday: we went to church at Hyde Park UMC and hit up their contemporary service, The Park. I was really impressed. They had loud, upbeat music (a band) and a very relatable sermon. I could see myself going there more often. It’s 20 minutes away from our house which isn’t preferable, but I keep in mind that a lot of people (the Polleys, the Vetters, etc.) drive about 45 to get to theirs. Further, they would probably be more accommodating for Nicole’s baptism and it’s sweet that it’s the same church we got married in 3+ years ago. Hopefully this decision will be made SOON- I want to be settled!

Laci, Jim’s stepsister and her daughter Nicole came from Columbus to visit that afternoon. Laci brought LOTS of summer dresses and outfits for our Nicole- most of which were right up my alley style-wise (I love little girls in dresses!!). We cut our visit a little short so we could go suck at bowling (won ¼).

We also caught up on LOST which means we’ll be eager and ready for Thursday’s new episode! We need to learn who’s on the boat and if Claire gets in the helicopter!

7 comments:

Finlands finest said...

The vow renewal was nice. I was so happy to see everyone. Kelly was estactic so many people were able to make it!

Glad you enjoyed your church service. Choosing a church is not as easy as it sounds.

Mamma Sarah said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend.

I'll have to look in my donation bag and see if I have pants that may fit your skinny butt. :-) Hopefully I can help you out. I don't really see my hips ever fitting in them again.

Martha said...

sounds like a great weekend.
do you not get to see Rina much? How is she and her little one doing?
you'll gain weight back when you stop nursing? I would have thought once off you can keep it off (I get the whole calorie in calorie out, metabolism thing...)
If a Church has upbeat music it's irritates me. (Afterall, I wasn't raised in a Baptist Church) What's wrong with a reverant ceremony? It's a serious issue with me. I hate hate hate the Church near me. Clapping, dancing in the aisles, way loud singing/music. The relaxed "ceremony" is so bad girls (and older women!) wear some disgustingly tight and tiny shirts, skirts, jeans, etc. Cell phones going off during Mass is the norm. Seriously. No wonder a Pius X group branched off from that Church. And unfortunately I find this sort of ceremony waaaaaaay too common in all regions that I have lived, so it is not just this Church, this archidioses, this region. (except, Ironically, San Francisco. But they had some ugly-@ss gold leafing as the ENTIRE interior of the HUGE church as their fault)

Finlands finest said...

A lady at my mom's church was wanting to get a dress code going. My mom was against, there are already enough Catholics who disillusioned by the church that we don't need to give them another reason to be.

Viki said...

I'm glad Jim is feeling better - sick all week, poor guy!

I agree with the too cold during the winter for skirts. I have a bunch of spring/summer skirts, but only two winter ones, and I realize it's because 90% of the time I feel like wearing a skirt during the winter I end up not because I don't want to walk 14 blocks in it.

I also agree with Martha on the church thing - I don't like contemporary services at all...just my take though.

TreyJ said...

I'm with Martha here, too...I don't like my church service to feel like a rock concert. What's wrong with a good four-part hymn?

Sarah said...

I agree with the idea of not wanting to wear skirts in the winter, especially since moving to Northeast Ohio!!

I fall somewhere in the middle on the contemporary church service issue. I agree with Martha that many contemporary churches have crossed the line (inappropriate clothing, cell phones, etc), but I am also not a fan of stuffy traditional Catholic services. They seem too impersonal to me. I like something in between, where people are comfortable celebrating but maintaining a sense of propriety.