Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend of 2/15/08

We spent the whole weekend with my family – Friday night cards with my parents and brother Greg, Saturday at my aunt’s celebrating Jonathan’s birthday, and Sunday Jim went bowling with mike (while I went to church!), bought a ping pong table with Greg, and went to a movie with my dad. I played with Nicole, took a nap, and made (pureed) LOTS baby food. What a weekend!

One comment that’s stuck with me was made during shang hai at my folks. We were talking about the tax refund that Bush is giving and griping that $300-600 in free money is also going to each illegal alien. While this alone is enough to send me into a tizzy of frustration, my mom followed it up with this statement: “if we know the addresses of the illegal aliens to send them a check, why haven’t we gone to said address, rounded them up, and deported them back to their home country?” Um, yeah. Why haven’t we done that?! Why hasn’t this been publically addressed?

Update on the house: we’re waiting for the form that we (Jim & I, each child (heir) and their spouse = 9 people!) have to have signed and authorized by a notary. Where is this form? With the lawyer who found the initial error. He said he’d have it drafted by Friday close of business; we still don’t have it. Which of course means it's not signed nor is there a date/time for us all to get together and execute it. I'm now $100 in debt on a second mortgage more than I should be with no end in sight…

6 comments:

Katharine said...

there is a strong argument that the gov't has no interest in getting rid of illegals. this would seem to validate that.

Viki said...

I read something last week about how some illegals actually did pay taxes, and that the IRS was not allowed to give a status (illegal vs. legal) on taxpayers. If the government can pull all kinds of spying crap in other areas, they sure as hell can find illegals if they're paying taxes.

As for this moron lawyer - would it do you any good to go and sit in his office until said form is produced?

Martha said...

Shoot, if illegals are paying taxes, they deserve a rebate, too, and certainly more than kids do!!
If they aren't paying taxes, most I know are too paranoid to fill out taxes at a risk of "getting caught".

To be honest illegals help keep costs "down". Yea, look at how expensive it is to produce goods in this country and the illegals are helping keep it down. All illegals (not a lot but certainly a few handfuls of them) I've worked with are the hardest working, best workers - and they work for less than minimum wage, no benefits, no overtime (yet they're putting in 16+ hour days 6-7 days a week) (speaking from the restaurant and food manufacturing industries))
However, I had heard that they specifically were NOT getting the refund. But then, that was probably before the final draft was approved. Also, it's really just an advance on a one-time tax credit. So if they do pay taxes, it's just coming out of next years taxes, just like yours and mine - except for those people who don't even pay taxes - it's "free money" to them (like Nic).

Finlands finest said...

I like Viki's idea of sitting the in the Lawyers office!

Your mom makes a great point! If they know where all of the illegal aliens live, why aren't there steps to either legalize them or deport them?

Anonymous said...

While I am for everyone working to be legal and paying taxes, I don't think any of the immigrations plans are too good right now.

But there is a really good Nova special called "Population Paradox". It describes the challenges in Japan where an aging population and low birth rates are hurting the economy. Conversely they talk about Africa and India where the population is growing wildly and the economy cannot support such rapid population growth.

They make the point that the only thing buffering the US from following either path (more likely Japan) is our history of immigration.

Dave

Finlands finest said...

I forgot to say, I like how you and Jim spend so much time with your family. It is nice, especially since Jim gets along so well with your family.