Monday, October 01, 2007

Ink

I have been fascinated by tattoos for years. Shows like “Miami Ink” could play for 3 hours a day and you’d find me sitting there watching it for the full 3 hours if I had the time. Because I don’t have any myself (there’s nothing that I find important enough in my life that I need it permanently marked on my body) I am constantly interested in what and why others get inked.

Some other thoughts:

  • Sarah and Viki went to Texas for a convention and got tattoos together while they were there. I SO wish I could have been there to watch the process and get their first-hand reactions at the time. This is why I'm so glad Viki let me tag along when she got her nose pierced
  • Sarah F tried to get me to threatened to “force” to get a tattoo once as a punishment for dating a certain guy I was interested in. Didn’t work.
  • I’ve had a long-standing idea for a book (my idea for my first self-made million!) called “The Meaning Behind the Mark” – the idea was to travel around and interview sports stars about their tattoos and why they got them. The great part of this idea is the multiple editions of the book I could produce – one for baseball, one for basketball, etc. It’d be the perfect coffee table book for every sports lover!
  • Before my little brother got his cross put on his chest, he consulted me on the design – I was so touched that he thought enough of my opinion to ask!

This morning CNN had a little picture version online of real people’s meaning behind their marks – to see them: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/tattoos.irpt/index.html.

10 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Oh I love your book idea. My brother would love something like that.

Speaking of tatoos, my brother told me that if I ever decided to get one he wanted to come with me. He has several and Ashley even has a ladybug on her foot.

Viki said...

To this day, the story of getting my nose ring is still one of my favorites, mostly because YOU were so excited. :-)

I've been wanting to get a second tattoo somewhere, a small one, but I haven't reached a point at which a) I feel like I'm at a turning point in my life, and b) I haven't found the right meaningful thing. My rose was done right before senior year in college, which I feel like was the beginning of a big life change, and it's a rose because roses have always meant a lot to me, and have always been around at important times in life...

Anonymous said...

i want a tattoo on my forearm or wrist, but Dave disagrees. Should your husband's opinion on something like this matter if it's something that you truly want?

Martha said...

my opinion - no one's opinion other than your own should matter (unless, of course, you want your husband's brother's name tattooed on you, but then you probably have bigger issues). It's still your body, afterall.
I've thought about a tatoo. haven't done it. I go thru phases of wanting one. And apparently end up with a piercing instead....

Tom said...

Karen - Awesome book idea, please send me a copy when it comes out (or I'll buy each version and help support your millions). Do you think golfers have tatoos? Would they say tough things like "under par or bust"?

"2 putting is 1 put too many"

Or any picture of a golf ball on fire will do.

Finlands finest said...

I have yet to come up with something I would want on my body permanently....

LisaMarie said...

I'm with you Karen, I could watch Miami Ink 3 hours a day!

I've never wanted a tattoo. First because of my fear of needles. Second, because my mom always said things about them when I was growing up that made me never want one. Tbird, my brother got a really scarey one which he totally regrets.

Tom said...

My Highschool band director got some tatoos while he was in the Navy. When we were in highschool, his tatoos looked AWEFUL. They had clearly dulled and deformed (does this happen) over time.

Gtemp said...

So I started to type a response to this and it became rather lengthy so I just decided to write a blog on it instead... check it out.

Sarah said...

I love my tatoo, have never regretted it for a second. It was funny though, because I had thought long and hard about what I wanted to get before Viki and I went to Dallas, but then I changed my mind on the spot.

I'm going to get another one....I can't wait!