Thursday, October 04, 2007

Hats

When I was a junior in high school Sue and I became infatuated with hats. I think it’s because people didn’t really wear them and so to do so was to stand out a bit from the crowd. We even rigged the Secret Santa exchange amongst our friends so we could buy each other a hat. NOTE: I never once saw her wear hers…. Maybe I have bad taste?

When I was in college I bought a black dress hat to go with my pea coat. My boyfriend at the time, Kenny, loved me in the hat and always complimented me on how nice I looked when I wore it, which of course prompted me to wear it more often.

Now the only hats I wear are knit or fleece ski cap type in the winter because Cincinnati can get frickin’ cold with the wind chill. I still think you have to be pretty cool and confident to pull off a hat like the chick in the picture above. Further, I don’t have the right kind of hair cut to look good in a hat like that so I'm hesitant to buy one even though I like the style.

The first person who comes to mind who could/should wear a hat is Rachel, but I suspect if she did it wouldn’t be as trendy as the one I posted. Someone good with photoshop should play around with different styles for her.

10 comments:

Finlands finest said...

I like hats too, but again, not sure if I could pull it off. I do a ball cap okay though.

Laura said...

Sounds familiar...I have been wanting to wear that style hat in the picture so so long, but since I usually wear shorts and t-shirts I would look silly. I didn't get your email...did you send it to laursie@yahoo.com?

Viki said...

I always loved hats, but always looked bad in them, at least I though. I couldn't pull off the hat in the picture here...

Martha said...

I never look good in hats. not even ball caps. or my riding helmet. However, people often tell me I look good in hats. But they take away from my eyes, which are my favorite facial feature!!
I have started wearing winter hats in the last few years....

Sarah said...

I love hats, but unfortunately my hair does not. I wish I could wear hats more often....hmmm, maybe I should work on that.

Martha said...

Randomness: (I'm posting a note to everyone on Karen's blog b/c I assume people read it often)
My internet has not been working, as we all know. So I've been posting mini-blogs w/in my own blog b/c I'm okay leaving comments, but not okay typing a real post while at work......
And I'm looking for reassurance. :)
As soon as I get my posts up again, I will have some very happy news to post. Well, it probably won't actually phase most people. But happy news in the world of Martha. Well. Not ME. It's actually a friend of me. But that makes me deliriously happy, too.

Anonymous said...

wait. "if she did it wouldn't be as trendy as the one i posted." what are you trying to say, karen? i love hats like this...

Karen said...

rachel- then you need to wear it! you'd look great!! i say "not trendy" as you normally put your own twist on current trends which is something i envy!

Anonymous said...

i really like hats, but they're not really for me. here's why:

1. i can't stand hat-head. gross.
2. i LOVE short hair, but short hair and a very petite body + hat = looking like a little boy. also gross.
3. i have a very small head; therefore, it is almost impossible for me to find a nice fitting hat.

however, my pal amanda rocks some cute hats.

Megs said...

I absolutly love hats!! Hence, look at my myspace pictures. I steal people's hats all the time! The funny german at the guy at Haufbrahous is wearing, st. patty's day hats, ball caps... always. However, the ONLY hat I have ever bought myself is a fleece ski cap. It's the only one I will willingly wear in front of other people without joking around.