Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Kid and Me

2 days ago Nicole was clearly very happy being with Andrea, one of her babysitters. She was all smiley, cooing and giggling at her. Even as I was changing her, Nicole would turn away from me to “talk” with Andrea. When I packed her up and put her in her car seat to go home she let me know how unhappy she was to leave.

While this is great- I want her to feel happy and safe with her day care- no mother wants their kid to prefer the babysitter to them. My head danced with how I can spend more time with her, beyond weekends, evenings, and the thrice weekly lunches I visit her over. I made several off-handed comments to Jim, waiting for him to reassure me that I was still Nicky’s favorite and blah blah blah, but he didn’t pick up on cues of needing encouragement.

Well, as if Nicole did pick up on my need, she has spent the last day enthralled with me. OK, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but she is very happy with me at the moment. On several occasions I’ll notice she’s stopped nursing and when I look down to see why it’s because she’s beaming up at me. I sit her on my lap and talk to her and she squeals with delight. I stopped to see her at lunch this afternoon and she woke up with a smile when she saw me first thing. LOVE IT!

Maybe I am still her favorite. : )

6 comments:

Finlands finest said...

Karen, I have no doubt you will always be Nicole's "favorite" person, you are her mom!!

Martha said...

of COURSE you're her favorite! she knows you best (the whole 9 months inside you thing) AND you are her primary source of food. and you dote on her, I'm sure, more than anyone else. ok, maybe Jim, too.

So...is it possible to cut back on hours or work even just one day a week from home? That could give you additional time with the gal.

Eva said...

Enjoy this time with her, because when she is 13 you will not be her favorite person. I speak from experience.

Mamma Sarah said...

You are the fav... but you have to be prepared for the "all about da da" stage... but they always come back to ma ma.

Viki said...

I'm laughing my ass off at my mother's comment. :-) I'm sure you are her favorite! Men never pick up on those subtleties (sp?), and sometimes don't even when you make it painfully obvious, so don't worry about that either...

Eva said...

Whyever would you think my comment was funny Viki?