Thursday, October 11, 2007

Beep! Beep!

A compliment is a compliment and all given to me are appreciated. There is one group of people whose compliments have, over the years, taken higher precedence- truck drivers.

Ever since I was in high school I’ve always been very grateful when a truck driver honked at me, even better if I see them waving when I glance up in my rearview mirror. If I get more than one honk in a day or back-to-back honks from truck drivers driving near each other I actually take note of what I'm wearing or if the seatbelt is positioned in a “flattering” way to attract the attention; not that I change it if it is because by then my head's held a little higher and the sun’s a little sunnier.

I think it’s because they see hundreds of women a day and yet they acknowledge me specifically. I'm choosing to ignore the fact that they could be honking at 18 other women and 3 guys a day… And, no, I don’t think I'm being honked at because I'm a bad driver. It’s not that hard to stay in my lane on the highway.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, when I got my first honk post-kid I beamed the rest of the day. I took it as the official sign that I had gotten my pre-baby figure back. A couple days ago I actually got honked at with Nicole in the back seat which I thought was a huge compliment – I am a mom and still cute!- something I don’t normally associate together.

I wonder if my father-in-law (a semi-truck driver) used to honk at pretty girls. His personality is such that I bet he did. He's the type that would tell a truck stop waitress that she "sure looks pretty today" and he'd say it just like that and be completely sincere. Now that Jim's mom rides with him I think it's safe to assume he's quit honking if he did before- she can be the jealous type and would probably reach over and pop him if he beeped at another woman.

5 comments:

Finlands finest said...

That is so funny, because I don't like being honked at by truck-drivers. Maybe I need to take your attitude to it. When I was 10-12 years old I used to ride my bike to and from the pool in the summer and I would ride along some pretty busy streets. I was always being honked at by truck drivers and it embaressed me. I saw them as dirty old men-that image has probably stayed with me. Now my Grandpa was a truck driver, so I am not poorly biased against them in general, just the ones that beeped at me and I suppose the ones that still do.

Megs said...

I loved this blog! My uncle was a truck driver and I believe that he was more of the one who would kind of stay to himself a little... I just can't see him honking at random people. I do feel like it's a compliment to be honked at by SEMI-truck drivers but the random guy who passes you with a 'i will stalk you' look in his eyes just creeops me out!

Viki said...

I agree with Megan on specifying that they be semi drivers, but I've always gotten a kick out of being honked at, too. :-)

Martha said...

I bet Jim's father in law honked at a car just once with his wife in the car (hey, I'm sure its habit) ;)
I take it as a compliment, too. But damn, it hasn't been in years. hmm. I'm w/ Jen - maybe it's b/c they are dirty old men who didn't get enough from the lot lizards.

Tom said...

I get honks from truck drivers. I thought they liked my car.... I am so confused...

Mental note - stop wearing a wig in the car.

Just kidding - do girls like whistlers too?